Learning Urushi

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

I've been literally gobsmacked by how beautiful some of the urushi pens shown here and elsewhere are, and I've spent a lot of time trying to find resources, tutorials, classes, and supplies so that I can start experimenting with the technique and art. There are a number of books showcasing objects made with different styles of urushi laquer finishing, but not much regarding the actual techniques involved, so I've concluded that either 1) it is so simple as to need next to no explanation (unlikely) or 2) it remains a closely held secret by its accomplished practitioners. As far as I have been able to determine, supplies (laquer, brushes, etc) used for the traditional techniques have to be imported from Japan, and hands on learning would require traveling to Tokyo. Therefore, in desperation, I have ordered some basic materials from Mejiro in Japan, and since I can't take a trip to Japan anytime soon, I'll be teaching myself with what little help I can glean from the few resources that exist on the web. Anyway, by way of appeal, if anyone out there has experience with urushi and willing to provide some informal mentoring or share some knowledge about urushi I would be grateful. Thanks! If my experimentation is not too embarrassing, I'll put it up here to document my progress and share what I've learned. If on the other hand it turns out to be an utter failure, this is likely the last you'll hear of it from me. Stay tuned:oops:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chris Leadbeater (chriselle) was the first I saw post photos of Urushi pens. When asking him about how to make the lacquer he responded something like the ingredients were like a poison Ivy and take about a month to make the pen. You can order the stuff from Japan, but is costly.
Now I'm going by memory of info received 10 years ago. Maybe some things have changed since that time.

I did see a video on youtube showing the compound being made. Starts out with powdered rice and water which is heated, then the rice powder in a stainless steel bowl is set into another bowl with cold water for certain amount of time etc., etc., etc. The only thing I could remember was the powdered rice and water mixing into a paste.

You're not the first to want to learn the urushi process, but you certainly could be one to succeed. I haven't seen Chris here in a long time. But if you care to go back through his early posts, you may find his responses to the inquiries about the process. Good luck!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Here is a link to a discussion where Chris makes a few replies.

1shootist

Congratulations to you for willing to take this head on, I'm amazed with the few that get posted here on the forum ...beautiful pens.
Look forward to seeing your creations !

Pierre---

I am just an Urushi-beginner who learned a lot with YouTube, but this is not enough... I have to try, fail, retry, test, cuss, spend a lot of time and a bit of money, and sometime I make a pen I am very proud of. I had opportunity to have courses here in France, helps a lot.
You can mix Urushi with egg white (to make irregular surface), rice flour (as mentioned by Chuck, to glue fabrics), pigments, turpentine, sugar, clay, one stuff for a different purpose. There is so many techniques to learn! Check IAP member Martin Pauli's site "Manu Propria" where he shows tens of them.

I think videos are the best way to learn if you cannot find a teacher. Here are some, find others!
About Maki-e:

About Chinkin:

About Maki-e again, and what a pen!:

About Raden:

About a whole bunch of different techniques:

Have fun!

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
I don't think Chris has been on in a while. About 18 - 20 months.

Martin (manupropria) from Bern, Switzerland, posts photos regularly here and he sells some of his high priced high quality Urushi pens in even the Ginza. One does not get to do that unless it matches the quality of Japanese masters.

Martin is a master with Urushi and with the Japanese language as well, in particular within the skilled community of Urushi, pens, and tools of the masters. I spent 26 years in Japan and could read and write as well as speak in the levels of the honorific, the polite and the plain forms, but I sure didn't pick up the specialty language in the Urushi realm as he did.

Send him a PM.

There is one word that I would say that separates most westerners from Japanese/Asian masters is: PATIENCE! (translated: learn to enjoy watching paint dry.) šŸ˜

Last edited:
Top Bottom