Lathe quit working

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pensmyth

Well my trusty old Delta 46-460 just stopped.....nothing. I took the control box off and and everything looks ok...no burnt wires not really dusty (I try to keep it blown out) started fiddling with it and got it to fire back up but it is intermittent and doesn't seem to have full power. Might try replacing the speed control but I'm thinking it's terminal the lathe is more than 10 years old....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

What is the saying do not throw the baby out with the bath water.:) The first thing I would check is that all connections are tight and that the plug is secure in the outlet. Look at the switch and the connections. There has been reports that they get lose and from time to time it will cause the motor to fluctuate at any speed. You said you got it to fire up so I would start wherever you are playing around and look for loose wires and tight connectors weather they be crimped or slid on the switch. Next I would check the brushes. Stretch the springs on the brushes unless they are worn down then just replace. You say it is 10 years old. That could be a problem. Last could be the pot on the board that controls speed may be going bad. But again easily replaced. Now parts for Delta tools have become a serious problem so good luck with that.

One other thing isn't there an overload button in the back of that lathe or somewhere on that lathe?? Not sure if it is a thermal thing or a plain fuse but you may try to locate that and look at that and the wires.

Last edited:

magpens

Obviously you would like to get it working again if you can, and save yourself quite few hundred $ for a totally new machine.

Is this the lathe here ...... ?

Electronically controlled variable speed ? . ( in addition to the belt shift to give the RANGES for speed )

Seems to have a pretty good reputation .

Before you scrap it, might be an idea to talk to a reliable Delta representative to get his opinion on what might be wrong.

I have replaced the electronic speed control printed circuit board on a couple of lathes. . It's not a very big deal and the cost for a new board is about $150. . Just a matter of keeping track of a bunch of different colored wires and getting them back in the right places on the new board. . Bit of masking tape to label where the wires go. . IF THAT is the problem and it COULD be.

pensmyth

What is the saying do not throw the baby out with the bath water.:) The first thing I would check is that all connections are tight and that the plug is secure in the outlet. Look at the switch and the connections. There has been reports that they get lose and from time to time it will cause the motor to fluctuate at any speed. You said you got it to fire up so I would start wherever you are playing around and look for loose wires and tight connectors weather they be crimped or slid on the switch. Next I would check the brushes. Stretch the springs on the brushes unless they are worn down then just replace. You say it is 10 years old. That could be a problem. Last could be the pot on the board that controls speed may be going bad. But again easily replaced. Now parts for Delta tools have become a serious problem so good luck with that.

One other thing isn't there an overload button in the back of that lathe or somewhere on that lathe?? Not sure if it is a thermal thing or a plain fuse but you may try to locate that and look at that and the wires.
Yep, went through and checked all the connections, all good all tight no corrosion. I'm starting to lean towards the circuit board being bad. It will run then start to fluctuate causing a bad draw and the electric and causing the lighting on the same circuit to fluctuate too.

pensmyth

Obviously you would like to get it working again if you can, and save yourself quite few hundred $ for a totally new machine.

Is this the lathe here ...... ?

Electronically controlled variable speed ? . ( in addition to the belt shift to give the RANGES for speed )

Seems to have a pretty good reputation .

Before you scrap it, might be an idea to talk to a reliable Delta representative to get his opinion on what might be wrong.

I have replaced the electronic speed control printed circuit board on a couple of lathes. . It's not a very big deal and the cost for a new board is about $150. . Just a matter of keeping track of a bunch of different colored wires and getting them back in the right places on the new board. . Bit of masking tape to label where the wires go. . IF THAT is the problem and it COULD be.
Yes, that's the one I have. I checked on parts and a new circuit board is around $340. I also noted that some replacement parts ( on/off switch) are no longer made or available so I'm thinking it's time to upgrade. It has been a VERY good and reliable lathe for more than 10 years so I think I got my moneys worth out of it. I've been eyeing the new Laguna 12/16 since it came out so I guess I need to start saving my lunch money!

magpens

OK ..... I understand.

I did not know that the circuit board could be that expensive ..... at $340 it is nearly half the price of a new 46-460 lathe.

I like the specs of the Laguna 12/16, especially the fact that it goes to very low speed, which is good for finishing (with CA for example). . I assume you have to move the belt to change the speed ranges.

I see that it's selling for $999 at present (at one vendor), which is $100 off the reg. price.

• Motor: 1 HP DC Permanent Magnet Motor
  • Controller: Pulse Width Modulation (PWM)
  • Electrical Requirements: 110V-1PH-60HZ
  • Recommended Breaker Size: 110V – 15 AMP
  • Speed Range High 650 – 3500 RPM
  • Speed Range Mid 325 – 1750 RPM
  • Speed Range Low 50 – 525 RPM *************************************** GREAT !!
  • Distance Between Centers 15.5"
  • Swing Over Bed 12-1/2"
  • Swing Over Banjo 9-1/2"
  • Max. Outboard Swing 16"
  • Spindle Bore 3/8"
  • Spindle Taper MT2
  • Spindle Thread 1"x 8 TPI (both ends)
  • Front Bearing 6006LLU
  • Rear Bearing 6005LLU
  • Indexing 24 positions w/ Lock
  • Drive belt Poly-V Belt 6 Grooves
  • Tail stock quill travel 2-1/2"
  • Tail stock taper MT2
  • Bed Length 29.4"
  • Tool Rest Length 6"
  • Tool Rest Post Dia. 1"
  • Faceplate Dia. 3"

Last edited:

DrD

I have a Delta 46-250 and a Delta 46-460 and after shopping around found a place called Renovo, 248-634-6234 to have the best prices on replacement belts at least; I don't know if they have the controller board you need, but it might be worth a call.

DrD

pensmyth

OK ..... I understand.

I did not know that the circuit board could be that expensive ..... at $340 it is nearly half the price of a new 46-460 lathe.

I like the specs of the Laguna 12/16, especially the fact that it goes to very low speed, which is good for finishing (with CA for example). . I assume you have to move the belt to change the speed ranges.

I see that it's selling for $999 at present (at one vendor), which is $100 off the reg. price.

• Motor: 1 HP DC Permanent Magnet Motor
  • Controller: Pulse Width Modulation (PWM)
  • Electrical Requirements: 110V-1PH-60HZ
  • Recommended Breaker Size: 110V – 15 AMP
  • Speed Range High 650 – 3500 RPM
  • Speed Range Mid 325 – 1750 RPM
  • Speed Range Low 50 – 525 RPM *************************************** GREAT !!
  • Distance Between Centers 15.5"
  • Swing Over Bed 12-1/2"
  • Swing Over Banjo 9-1/2"
  • Max. Outboard Swing 16"
  • Spindle Bore 3/8"
  • Spindle Taper MT2
  • Spindle Thread 1"x 8 TPI (both ends)
  • Front Bearing 6006LLU
  • Rear Bearing 6005LLU
  • Indexing 24 positions w/ Lock
  • Drive belt Poly-V Belt 6 Grooves
  • Tail stock quill travel 2-1/2"
  • Tail stock taper MT2
  • Bed Length 29.4"
  • Tool Rest Length 6"
  • Tool Rest Post Dia. 1"
  • Faceplate Dia. 3"
My dad (87 years young) loves to turn bowls and he just replaced his Rikon with the Laguna 12/16 earlier this year and he's really impressed with it. They are selling for $799 here and I just missed a big 10% off sale but there will be another I'm sure come the holidays and I should have enough penny's saved up by then. It should fit on my mobile base I made for the Delta just fine. I just hope I have enough non-turning projects to keep me busy until I can replace it!

Attachments

• E7F43958-AD2E-47BC-9E98-E7C62FD5C6BF.jpeg
    E7F43958-AD2E-47BC-9E98-E7C62FD5C6BF.jpeg
    360.1 KB · Views: 206

pensmyth

I have a Delta 46-250 and a Delta 46-460 and after shopping around found a place called Renovo, 248-634-6234 to have the best prices on replacement belts at least; I don't know if they have the controller board you need, but it might be worth a call.

DrD
Yep, checked with them but they don't carry it. I've come to find out that there are two 46-460 delta lathes, a style one and style two. Apparently there were issues with the electronics in the style one that were corrected in the style two. By the time I replace out dated components with newer ones I would be better off just buying new. I've gotten 10 plus good years out of it with no issues until now so I can't complain. Heck at 63 there are parts of me that don't work like they should any more :-}

randyrls

Yes, that's the one I have. I checked on parts and a new circuit board is around $340. I also noted that some replacement parts ( on/off switch) are no longer made or available so I'm thinking it's time to upgrade. It has been a VERY good and reliable lathe for more than 10 years so I think I got my moneys worth out of it. I've been eyeing the new Laguna 12/16 since it came out so I guess I need to start saving my lunch money!

Andy; The speed control pots are the very cheapest to be found. Check the pot first. Dust can get in there, or the pot could just be worn out.

Curly

I recently remember a thread (don't remember where) about a guy that fixes circuit boards for the small metal lathes and milling machines. You could contact him to see if he could fix yours. He has some trouble shooting info on his site that could be helpful to diagnose the problem with the board and motor. If he can then you can keep it or upgrade and be able to sell it. As is it is little more than scrap. http://olduhfguy.com/#

jttheclockman

Sounds like it is arcing and causing the lights to flicker. A bad pod on a circuit board will not do that. All that is basically a big resistor. Check the brushes. When you have brushes out, take a peek to see if you can see the commutator and see if it has black burnt marks on it. Will take you to tip lathe to get at brushes or take motor off. What do you have to lose.

I would also blow air in that board and around the pot because it may just be dust that you can not see. Are you trying to turn the speed controller as you have it started and this is when it starts fluctuating??

Last edited:

monophoto

This kind of situation presents something of a dilemma.

On one hand, the problem is likely to be relatively trivial and something that can easily and inexpensively repaired (if you can determine where the problem is).

On the other hand, it's a great excuse for buying that new lathe that you have been lusting after - - -

From the description of the problem, it sounds to me like a minor mechanical issue - a loose connection, worn brushes, a defective switch, or a potentiometer with a badly worn slider. If an electronic component had failed, the lathe simply would not work at all. The challenge is in finding where the problem is - for obvious economic reasons, manufacturers design products to be replaced when components wear out rather than with the anticipation that worn-out components will be replaced to extend the life of the product.

jttheclockman

This kind of situation presents something of a dilemma.

On one hand, the problem is likely to be relatively trivial and something that can easily and inexpensively repaired (if you can determine where the problem is).

On the other hand, it's a great excuse for buying that new lathe that you have been lusting after - - -

From the description of the problem, it sounds to me like a minor mechanical issue - a loose connection, worn brushes, a defective switch, or a potentiometer with a badly worn slider. If an electronic component had failed, the lathe simply would not work at all. The challenge is in finding where the problem is - for obvious economic reasons, manufacturers design products to be replaced when components wear out rather than with the anticipation that worn-out components will be replaced to extend the life of the product.
Like you say Louie I too believe this is a very fixable problem but you do need to be able to troubleshoot some things. I and others have given him the basics to look for. Being without a lathe for a long period of time is troubling. It is too bad Delta went down this path and parts are hard to find and if you do find them they are generic and expensive. Probably about $50 in parts on that board if that. I too like that new Laguana line of lathes. But would look into their warranty and parts dept. Jet is still the front runner for midi lathes I believe.

DrD

Yup, at 75, soon to be 76, I figure that if the lathe breaks, I'm done with turning; the return on investment just ain't there. That's why II got all those Festools!

DrD

Not at all, at least for sale in the USA; I believe they offer several industrial units in the EU. If you check my post at 4:15 am I indicated I had 2 Delta lathes, each quite old, can't do anything about that. In a separate discussion several days ago I indicated the only tools in my shop that were not Festool were: drill press (Delta), band saws (2 - both Delta), lathes (2 - both Delta), and oscillating sander (Rigid). Everything else, i.e., saws, routers, planers, portable drills/drivers, power sanders, dust extractors, Domino, etc. are Festool.

egnald

Someone already mentioned it briefly, but since it is a variable speed, I assume it has a DC motor, so I think it would be prudent to check the brushes, pigtails, springs, and while you have them out, clean the commutator and check it for grooving, threading, and a buildup of copper between the segments. - Dave

Top Bottom