Lathe Problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaywood1207

I need some help or suggestions on how to fix my lathe or possibly my technique. I am getting a lot of chatter when turning now compared to before with both the gouge and skew. It is happening when turning two part pens or short pens (sierras) as well as non pen items. When it first started to happen a few months ago I found that by shortening my mandrel and only doing one tube at a time it helped but tonight I am turning tops (glued to a faceplate - no mandrel) and it is unbelievable. I had to stop because I was waking the kids up 2 floors above me. The kind of lathe I have is a Mastercraft mini which is a cheap no name knock off. It's not great but I really didn't and don't want to jump to a new one quite yet. I need a few more sales before that happens so need to try and figure this one out. Tools are sharp and for the tops I am turning am using maple and getting nice long ribbons off of it.

SteveRoberts

Bearings? Does it turn smoothly and tightly when off and doing it by hand? Have you checked belt tension? That was an issue for me for a while.

jaywood1207

Bearings are fine but I didn't realize the tension would affect chatter.[B)] I just checked the belt and it was loose and I'm out of adjustment not to mention the big chunk missing out of it. I'll have to try and find one tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom