Lathe Organization

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

d_bondi

Hello Everyone,

I have a Jet 1221VS and I love the lathe, but find the factory tool organizers attached to each end of it to be rather poorly designed and non-functional. I guess they may be designed to double as handles, but who in their right mind is going to pick this little beast up that way. It is really a two person lift, or should be if you are doing it safely.

Anyway, I decided that I wanted to use the space more effectively so I designed and 3D printed replacements for each end. Note, they cannot be used as handles this way, but my lathe is bolted down to the cabinet I built for it.

Left Side:
With the door for belt access, its handle and the Headstock Hand Wheel on this side, I find storing things here mostly bothersome. My solution is a simple flat plate about 5mm thick with rounded edges and large round neodymium magnets press fit into the the back. Now I can put a small ruler, drill bits, chuck key, etc. here as I am working and they won't go anywhere or get buried in the swarf.

Right Side:
This side has much more promise. The things I want here include my two Collet Chuck Wrenches (1@ER25 and 1@ER32), a spot for either my Jacobs Chuck or a Live Center, whichever isn't in the Tailstock, and my Knockout Tool. I designed it with the drop in the middle to hold the Jacobs Chuck/Live Center lower, in order to avoid gouging myself on the point of the live center. I have done that before while reaching for the Tailstock Quill Crank, and outch, it can take a real bite out of you.

Here are a few pictures of the end product alone, mounted, and in use.

All feedback is welcome and appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1544.jpeg
    IMG_1544.jpeg
    416.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1543.jpeg
    IMG_1543.jpeg
    396.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1545.jpeg
    IMG_1545.jpeg
    304 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1548.jpeg
    IMG_1548.jpeg