Lathe-Mounted Light Recommendations?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

Title says it all. Any that people like? I had one of those magnetic ones from woodturners wonders. It conked out on me after 3 or 4 years. In my view, it should have lasted longer. Not like I was running the thing all day every day. And it's not even the bulbs. If you smack it a bit, sometimes you can get it to turn back on for awhile so it's got to be some kind of wiring connection internally.

What do people use and like? The Laguna branded lights look really nice and they would integrate nicely, but they are pricey, and I'm having a hard time justifying spending that kind of coin on a light. I've also read a couple reviews that say folks need two for adequate lighting on a lathe, which would raise the cost even more. If anyone thinks they are worth it (above and beyond the cheaper alternatives), would love to hear your perspective.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fnfalguy

Since march of this year I've been using this inexpensive one from Amazon. Provides enough light for my purposes.

Amazing Power Sewing Machine Light LED Flexible Gooseneck Work Lamp with Magnetic Mount Base for Workbench Lathe Drill Press https://a.co/d/4Z2pcCG

monophoto

My lathe (a Turncrafter) came with a worklight attached to the headstock. It was designed to hold a 60w incandescent bulb but I'm currently using a 50w (equivalent) LED floodlamp.

I have a second light in one of those ubiquitous aluminum reflectors that you see in the big box stores. It's mounted on a shelf high up over the tailstock. It provides overall fill light, but because its further away from where work is being done, it's not contributing as much light as the worklight on the headstock. The combination gives me very good overall illumination, but because the headstock light source is relatively brighter at the point where I'm working, I get distinct shadows. That's important for me since I only have vision in one eye and therefore have very little depth perception - strong shadows can make up for non-binary vision.

I have one of Woodturner's Wonder's LED worklights on my drill press. It work fine, and at the price, I wouldn't be too upset if it only lasts a few years - that would be longer than the built-in worklight on the drill press lasted!

Some people swear by the worklights sold by Ikea.

Woodchipper

I mounted an old desk lamp over the lathe. Made a bracket from wood, ran a 3/8-16 bolt through the wood, slipped the lamp base over it. Used a curly Q bulb for light. Need to take a photo of it for demo purposes.

Humongous

bsshog40

Ya, I have an 18" fluorescent light mounted to a tripod. It's a tall tripod with the rotating head so I can raise, lower and turn about anyway I need to.

Top Bottom