Lathe for pens only. recommendations requested.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PCopeland

Hi folks.

I'm considering getting a small lathe mostly for turning pens (I have a large lathe for other things). I'd like it to have these characteristics:

MT2 on both headstock and tailstock
variable speed (I don't mean changing the pulleys, I mean a dial for adjusting the speed)
total length less than 34 inches.
less than $1000.

I wouldn't mind if it could turn small bowls but it's not essential.

With those specs in mind, what recommendations do you have.

Thanks!

-Pete

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darios

I'm pretty happy with my Turncrafter 12" from PSI, not that I have a breadth of knowledge in terms of multiple models.
Ticks all your boxes too, MT2, 24 inches, ~$700, though there is one pulley to shift between, kicking the variability from the "low" range of 450-1800 to the "high" range of 950 - 3800 or so.

Hippie3180

We recently purchased a Jet and love it. If you keep an eye out you may find it for 10% off…we did. Even without the 10% it's under a thousand. Will do MT2 at both ends. Variable speed, 21" long, pretty basic, easy and quiet, does everything we need. Oh, it also has reverse, but honestly we never use it. Good quality lathe.

monophoto

I'm pretty happy with my Turncrafter 12" from PSI, not that I have a breadth of knowledge in terms of multiple models.
Ticks all your boxes too, MT2, 24 inches, ~$700, though there is one pulley to shift between, kicking the variability from the "low" range of 450-1800 to the "high" range of 950 - 3800 or so.
I would add that it is possible to 'tweak' the settings on the PSI - there are 'pot' adjustments on the circuit board inside the control box to set the bottom and top ends of the speed range. The difference between the slow and fast pulley is a factor of two. For example, I have mine set to run between 150 and 1900 r/min on the slow pulley, or 300 to 3800 r/min on the fast pulley. Search this forum for details on how to make that adjustment.

My experience is that I rarely need to change the belt position. Most of my work uses the slow pulley, and I only change to the high-speed position if I'm doing small-diameter spindles (ie, pens). But even that's not a bit deal - it takes less than a minute to switch belt positions.

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Here is the link to what Louie wrote about above:

That is EXCELLENT. I have an 18 year old 12" Rikon that I changed out to a Penn State motor and drive about 14 or 15 years ago, and followed those instructions above. It gave me a low speed of about 150 and top speed of nearly 3000. Love it.

With this in mind, it increases the number of lathes that will do what you want and give the speeds you need. Originally I did turn some small bowls, but bought a larger lathe (16") for that. The Rikon is dedicated to pens only and I don't have to change belts. I hate changing belts! o_O :rolleyes:

egnald

A few years ago I upgraded from my Harbor Freight to a Jet 1221VS. I use it mostly for pens, but also for honey dippers, tool handles, and all sorts of small turnings. It runs comfortably at speeds from 500 to 3500 RPM by just turning the dial - although the adjustment is more difficult to dial in (touchy) at the very low end. Anyhow, I sure like it and although I don't have experience with many other brands, I would still recommend it to anyone.

Dave

PS It just hits your price point also, running between $750 and $1000 depending on where it is purchased from.

Hippie3180

A few years ago I upgraded from my Harbor Freight to a Jet 1221VS. I use it mostly for pens, but also for honey dippers, tool handles, and all sorts of small turnings. It runs comfortably at speeds from 500 to 3500 RPM by just turning the dial - although the adjustment is more difficult to dial in (touchy) at the very low end. Anyhow, I sure like it and although I don't have experience with many other brands, I would still recommend it to anyone.

Dave

PS It just hits your price point also, running between $750 and $1000 depending on where it is purchased from.
The Jet is a sweet upgrade after wrestling with the Harbor Freight for quite awhile. Right?

I'll be the weird one, I use a sherline miniature lathe for all my pen work. Gives me the option to precision turn and work with metal for fittings.
It doenst meet your MT2 requirement though. Properly spec'd MT1 is as big as they go. However it fits in a 1x3' space on a desk and is quite comfortable to work at with a nice office chair.

egnald

The Jet is a sweet upgrade after wrestling with the Harbor Freight for quite awhile. Right?
Not only did I struggle with the HF, I blew money on upgrading it by retrofitting a DC variable speed drive motor. It wasn't long before I realized that some of my issues were related to the sloppy tailstock. My Jet was like a dream. I even bought a new, custom, tailstock nut from Rick Herrell for it that made the tailstock even more solid. (Rick's nut is square and is made to fit between the ways -- it is much better than the round, washer type that comes stock with the lathe. Better tool rests helped a lot also, but they were a carryover from what I had bought for the Harbor Freight. -- Dave

TDahl

I have used My Turncrafter Commander from PSI since 2010. The speeds are easily adjustable. I have only had a few mechanical issues which were the results of my own careless mistakes, and PSI has always be very easy to contact and work with. The lathe is also very easy to work on whether making modifications or simply performing maintenance. Check out Bob Blanford's (RJB woodturner) videos on Youtube. I believe he uses the same lathe.

As a side note, when I purchased my lathe, Fine Woodworking magazine listed it as the best value for midi lathes at the time.

Todd in PA

New Jet 1221 owner here.

I agree with the sloppy HF tail stock, and that's a big upgrade. The variable speed dial with digital readout is sweet too. The HF doesnt have any hand wheel, so I really appreciate that.

Drawbacks I've found in the first two weeks are minor.
  • The power switch is low on the right side, and my leg will sometimes bump it off when I'm shaping the end.
  • Also from this position, the tail stock is somewhat in the way. I suppose I could slide it all the way off, but it's an extra step.

Woodchipper

I have a Rikon 70-050VS that has been replaced with a newer model. Some of the smaller lathes are basically the same except for the paint and name.

Hippie3180

New Jet 1221 owner here.

I agree with the sloppy HF tail stock, and that's a big upgrade. The variable speed dial with digital readout is sweet too. The HF doesnt have any hand wheel, so I really appreciate that.

• The power switch is low on the right side, and my leg will sometimes bump it off when I'm shaping the end.
  • Also from this position, the tail stock is somewhat in the way. I suppose I could slide it all the way off, but it's an extra step.
The tailstock is definitely sloppy and I often wrestled with the banjo as well.

monophoto

I have used My Turncrafter Commander from PSI since 2010. The speeds are easily adjustable. I have only had a few mechanical issues which were the results of my own careless mistakes, and PSI has always be very easy to contact and work with. The lathe is also very easy to work on whether making modifications or simply performing maintenance. Check out Bob Blanford's (RJB woodturner) videos on Youtube. I believe he uses the same lathe.

As a side note, when I purchased my lathe, Fine Woodworking magazine listed it as the best value for midi lathes at the time.
I was hesitant about responding to Tim's post because I didn't want to hijack this thread into a discussion of PSI Turncrafter lathes, but here goes anyway.

I've had my Turncrafter since 2011, and have been extremely pleased with it. I've replaced the belt once - PSI sells replacements, but you can save a few pennies by going to one of the generic belt supply houses I also bought a set of brushes but haven't needed to use them yet.

I did have a major failure of the control box. I called PSI Technical support, and as Tim said, they were very helpful in concluding that the problem was a failed box. I bought a replacement box, but later found that the failure was that a lug on the power out (to the motor) receptacle had broken. If I had discovered the cause before buying a replacement controller I'm sure I could have just replaced the receptacle, so the lesson is that if the box fails, open it up an look for obvious things like broken connections before buying a replacement box.

The only other issue I would mention is that the tailstock on my Turncrafter is a bit 'wobbly', and I know that others have had similar experiences with that lathe (as well as other brands in the price category). The problem is mainly a nuisance, with the most serious consequence being that it is necessary to align the tailstock carefully before drilling on the lathe - something that you quickly learn to deal with.

The Turncrafter does not come with a reversing switch. Bob Bandford came up with a way to add an outboard reversing switch that doesn't require any modification to the lathe itself and only costs a few bucks to do. King Canada sells what looks like the same lathe, only dressed in blue, that comes with a reversing switch,, but Pete is in Texas and buying from a Canadian supplier could be a hassle.

egnald

New Jet 1221 owner here.

I was not happy with the location of the power switch either because I have to almost bend over to use it. So, on the back, left side of my lathe I mounted a pedestal with one of the Powertec type safety switches mounted on it. That way I can leave the main switch on and use the remotely mounted one to turn it on and off. It makes a huge difference not having to bend and reach over to the right side of the lathe to switch it on and off - especially when I am doing it frequently - like during wet sanding with MicroMesh pads. - Dave

Hippie3180

I was not happy with the location of the power switch either because I have to almost bend over to use it. So, on the back, left side of my lathe I mounted a pedestal with one of the Powertec type safety switches mounted on it. That way I can leave the main switch on and use the remotely mounted one to turn it on and off. It makes a huge difference not having to bend and reach over to the right side of the lathe to switch it on and off - especially when I am doing it frequently - like during wet sanding with MicroMesh pads. - Dave
Funny, the power switch doesn't bother me, but I tend to stand a bit to the left anyway. Sometimes when I wet sand I do accidentally turn the speed down. I kept my pads and water to the right and guess I sometimes tweak the speed control. I've never shut down the lathe accidentally though.

monophoto

Great point!

When I moved from the small ShopFox lathe to the Turncrafter, I found that it took quite a while to retrain myself to know that the controls were at the tailstock end rather than at the headstock. Frankly, this could be a potential safety issue - after using a lathe for a while, we develop muscle memory about where the critical controls are, and switching to a different lathe with the controls in a different location could mean that we hesitate for a few microseconds - and if something is going wrong (like a catch or a blank blowing up), that could be a problem.

I only have one lathe, but if I were to ever consider having a second machine, I think one of the 'must haves' is that the controls be on the same side on both machines.

egnald

Great point!

When I moved from the small ShopFox lathe to the Turncrafter, I found that it took quite a while to retrain myself to know that the controls were at the tailstock end rather than at the headstock. Frankly, this could be a potential safety issue - after using a lathe for a while, we develop muscle memory about where the critical controls are, and switching to a different lathe with the controls in a different location could mean that we hesitate for a few microseconds - and if something is going wrong (like a catch or a blank blowing up), that could be a problem.

I only have one lathe, but if I were to ever consider having a second machine, I think one of the 'must haves' is that the controls be on the same side on both machines.
I never thought about muscle memory until you bright it up. Although my Central Machinery aka Harbor Freight lathe had the switch on the lower right side like the Jet 1221VS, I had fit it with a DC motor and had mounted the control box fairly high on the headstock side. That is what I had gotten used to reaching for. Now I understand why the stock switch on the lower, tailstock side seemed awkward to me. - Dave

target64

Any thoughts on a mini lathe 7 in. x 10 in. Precision Benchtop Mini Lathe? I like it better for pens then my Nova comet II.

derekdd

I was hesitant about responding to Tim's post because I didn't want to hijack this thread into a discussion of PSI Turncrafter lathes, but here goes anyway.

I've had my Turncrafter since 2011, and have been extremely pleased with it. I've replaced the belt once - PSI sells replacements, but you can save a few pennies by going to one of the generic belt supply houses I also bought a set of brushes but haven't needed to use them yet.

I did have a major failure of the control box. I called PSI Technical support, and as Tim said, they were very helpful in concluding that the problem was a failed box. I bought a replacement box, but later found that the failure was that a lug on the power out (to the motor) receptacle had broken. If I had discovered the cause before buying a replacement controller I'm sure I could have just replaced the receptacle, so the lesson is that if the box fails, open it up an look for obvious things like broken connections before buying a replacement box.

The only other issue I would mention is that the tailstock on my Turncrafter is a bit 'wobbly', and I know that others have had similar experiences with that lathe (as well as other brands in the price category). The problem is mainly a nuisance, with the most serious consequence being that it is necessary to align the tailstock carefully before drilling on the lathe - something that you quickly learn to deal with.

The Turncrafter does not come with a reversing switch. Bob Bandford came up with a way to add an outboard reversing switch that doesn't require any modification to the lathe itself and only costs a few bucks to do. King Canada sells what looks like the same lathe, only dressed in blue, that comes with a reversing switch,, but Pete is in Texas and buying from a Canadian supplier could be a hassle.
I bought the 10" Turncrafter used from a kid just after the holidays. He'd purchased it during the pandemic to give him something to do when not in HS online. Came with his tools, kits, blanks, etc. Good deal and in good shape.

Your description is exactly my experience with the tailstock. I just came in from drilling out 10 thin blanks for slimline pens so I needed to be careful. No worries, works just fine. A center finder and punch helps. It's good to hear PSI has solid customer service with their lathes.

My goal is to move up to the Laguna that Billy @Sataro mentioned above as I'd like to turn bowls and boxes at some point.

James Smith

I turned on a Delta Midi lathe for around 15 years and upgrade to a Laguna Revo 12|16 Midi Lathe about eight months ago. What a difference! The Laguna is SUPER smooth and quiet, offers very speed change, and forward and reverse. It costs $999 from Rockler, but sometimes spending a few more dollars pays off in the long run. Read the reviews on the Laguna Revo 12|16 Midi Lathe and make the decision that works best for you. Best of luck in your search.

Darios

I would add that it is possible to 'tweak' the settings on the PSI - there are 'pot' adjustments on the circuit board inside the control box to set the bottom and top ends of the speed range. The difference between the slow and fast pulley is a factor of two. For example, I have mine set to run between 150 and 1900 r/min on the slow pulley, or 300 to 3800 r/min on the fast pulley. Search this forum for details on how to make that adjustment.
Oh son of a @$@!!@

Darios

I have mine set to run between 150 and 1900 r/min on the slow pulley, or 300 to 3800 r/min on the fast pulley. Search this forum for details on how to make that adjustment.
Link for those interested:
https://www.penturners.org/threads/a-technical-question-regarding-variable-speed-drives.174143/

> An undocumented feature of my lathe (a Turncrafter) is that there are three potentiometers inside the speed control box that can be tweaked to adjust the speed range. I spoke to one of the Tech Support people at PSI who walked me through the process of adjusting the speed range using those pots. It was really simple - just use a screwdriver with an insulated handle to adjust the setting of two of the potentiometers while watching the speed display to see the impact. One is marked L and controls the low end of the speed range, while the other is marked H and controls the high end. The third potentiometer is marked F and I was told to not touch it - don't know why, but I am well trained and follow instructions.

Top Bottom