Lathe Advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mcnamar

I am a fairly novice woodworker. I have done some pens, 2 bowls, a tool handle, and a wine bottle holder. I am drying some wood for turning bowls and am trying to determine a decent lathe to get that I won't outgrow in very short fashion. Price is a factor, but I don't want to go cheap and outgrow it too soon either. I've been looking at the RIKON 70-220 and the Laguna 12-16. There is about a $200 difference which is still within my price range ($1,000 limit). Any advice I should take into account before pulling the trigger? Are there any opinions on a good lathe within that price limitation? Thanks

Brad

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

I can only speak for myself, but when I jumped into turning, I bought me a Grizzly G0462. I've been very happy with it. The only thing I would ask more from it would be a lower min speed. It only goes down to 590rpm. Hasn't affected anything I've done with it but have heard that lower rpms are better for large turnings, which I don't do. (at this time). Lol

turncrazy43

I can only speak about the Rikon. I purchased one in July when my old Delta finally bit the dust. There is a 5 year warrenty on the Rikon. I had problems with the new Rikon. But after a replacement electric box did not solve the problem they sent me a new replacement lathe. The new machine works like a dream. It is capable of doing all that you mentioned. However, the size of the bowls or platters would be restricted to about 12". Which ever one you finally decide on I would recommend getting a base so that you can make it mobile.
Good luck with your search and let us know which one you purchase and how you like it. HAPPY TURNING.
Turncrazy43

philipff

My PM 2035 is old as dirt, American made, bought used and is a working jewel. These days they cost more and they are still a great machine.

John Eldeen

I can't speak to any other lathe than the jet 12 21 as it is the only one I have ever used but I am extremely happy with it's performance over the last 4 years. It has all of the same features as the Laguna. In my opinion the jet just feels like a more solid machine. I am not sure how easy it is to change the belt position on the Laguna but it is super easy and fast on the Jet. I am sure you would be happy with either. As for the Rikon it's speed ranges per belt location looks small then the others. The low low is 250 rpm well the others are 50 and 60 rpm I like the really slow rpm.

JimB

There is also the Jet 1221 in that size and price range. All three are good lathes but I know a couple people who have used all 3 and their preference is either the Jet or Laguna with the Rikon in 3rd place. The laguna has the ability of doing outboard turning while the Jet has a longer bed.

As far as out growing it... well that's a whole different question and depend on what you want to be able to do down the road. I started with a Jet mini 1014, then bought a used Rockwell, then a new Grizzly G0462 (mentioned above and is in your price range but has limits as far as out of balance and large bowl blanks due to minimum speed issues and footprint of the machine) and now I have a Powermatic 3520B. Obviously I outgrew all those other lathes. Bottom line is think down the road as to what you want to be able to do.

If you can afford to go bigger look at used lathes or at the Laguna 1836. It's a full size lathe and a very reasonable price compared to other full size lathes.

1shootist

I have and like the Rikon 1218VS.
It seems to have ample torque / power...and if you watch Rockler ads every so often they have been running $100 to $150 off sales for it.

Woodchipper

I have a Rikon 70-050VS that I really like, no problems with it. I turn mostsly pens but it fit my needs. It has been replaced by another model.

Top Bottom