Latest pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Doug Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Jones

While at HD the other day I found this material. It is the new type of decking material. Some kind of plastic and wood composite (or so it looks like). They have the individual spindles on a shelf. I bought one thinking it would make for a good pen. What do you think?

Image Insert:
200439142_deck%20composite.jpg

37.78KB

Unfortunatly, grey is the only color they have on hand.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

txbob

Dojowoods,
Interesting material. What's the brand name to ask for? Any idea if the stuff will take a stain or dye to change the color? What sizes of raw material are available?
Thanks,
Bob S.

bud duffy

I believe that material is called TREX at least around here it is. And it is a plastic and wood fibre mix that is very weather resistant. As far as i know it comes in two or three colors and the wood might take stain but i highly doubt that the plastic will so i think it will be a splotchy or camo kind of look. cant hurt to try anyway huh. Bud

Doug Jones

Originally posted by txbob
<br />Dojowoods,
Interesting material. What's the brand name to ask for? Any idea if the stuff will take a stain or dye to change the color? What sizes of raw material are available?
Thanks,
Bob S.

I think Bud answered most of the questions. And I can not deny or agree with what he said because I have no idea what it is. It was laying on a shelf back with the lumber.

As for the demension of the raw material. The spindle was about a 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 at 36" long. I went to Menards and they also have white and brown but not out on the selves I think its a special order deal only.

txbob

Thanks Doug. I went to Lowes and found similar material, 1/5" square by 24" long for $1.99. It's light grey, turns ok, and seems to finish ok. I need to work with it more to forn an opinion.
Bob S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom