Last Minute Start up Advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward Miller

I know this subject has been hashed over a million times but, I still have some specific questions. I have finally decided to take that big leap and invest in pen making equipment. I have ordered the harbor freight chisels, woodcraft slow speed grinder, and a vacuum pump. I will be ordering a PSI Turn Crafter Pro midi lathe with an extention bed, PSI Wolverine knock off sharpening jig, and the PSI duplicator. My (very cheap Chinese made) drill press can only about 2 1/4" deep, would I be better off buying the tools that would let me drill blanks on the lathe or getting a different drill press? Also what tools specifically would you recommend to do this with, is it any easier, more accurate, or difficult to drill blanks on the lathe? I see that pen mills come in 1/2" and 3/4", would I really need two or will the 3/4" also square up the smaller blanks? when it comes to mandrels, I see that Arizona Silhouette has them priced anywhere from 15 to 26 dollars, is the 26 dollar one actually a better deal because it is adjustable or is the cheaper one with the interchangable shafts a better choice? Also is the tail center that comes with the lathe ok or should I buy an additional 60 degree tail center that is made to work with a metal mandrel? I also plan on getting in a stock of mm, the 3 thickness' of ca, lots of tubes to practice turning and finishing on before I actually try making a pen. I have spoken to many of you personally and appreciate all the advice you have given me thus far especially Greg Darling who took the time to show me how to turn a pen. So, if anyone out there has any last minute suggestions for a novice before I place this order, it will be appreciated.

Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Why waste money on a duplicator? What are you going to do with the vacuum pump. certainly don't need it for turning pens? You also don't need the extension bed for turning pens. The stroke on your drill press will work, you will just have to move the table up to be able to finish each hole. I drill all my blanks on my lathe, which can be either good or bad. In order to do that, you would need a 1/2" drill chuck with a #2 MT(I think that's what the Turncrafter Pro has). Buy one from Harbor Freight. I would recommend buying the less expensive mandrel with both shafts. A pen mill that's larger than the blank can cause the wood to split, better to have both sizes. Yes, you should get the 60 degree live center from LittleMachineShop.com.

Edward Miller

The reason for the duplicator and extension is that I also do other forms of woodworking like making clocks and would like to duplicate spindles. The vacuum pump will be used to stabilize blanks and corn cobs. By raising the table on the drill press, don't you run the risk of being off center just a bit when you start re-drilling, or does it not have to be that precise? Thank you very much for your input.

Ed

its_virgil

instead of raising the table, stop the drill press with the bit in the blank, raise the bit and blank vice and slip a board under the vice and lower the vice and continue drilling. Worked for me for over a year until I purchased a DP with a longer quill travel.
do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by Edward Miller
<br />The reason for the duplicator and extension is that I also do other forms of woodworking like making clocks and would like to duplicate spindles. The vacuum pump will be used to stabilize blanks and corn cobs. By raising the table on the drill press, don't you run the risk of being off center just a bit when you start re-drilling, or does it not have to be that precise? Thank you very much for your input.

Ed

Gerry and Don both gave you good advice.

I would also get a scroll chuck, PSI has a good price on them.

Also, unless you are planning on making 100s of the same clock part at the same time you won't need a duplicator. Learn the basics and you will be able to turn parts faster and better by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom