Lasers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'm not planing on buying one and I don't expect to needing one in the near future I 'm just curious about how they work. How one would prepare the blank. If I wanted to do a mural of a boat with wood and water with acrylic with a night sky. How does it all work, and how much work for me and how much for the guy with the laser?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

If I wanted to do a mural of a boat with wood and water with acrylic with a night sky. How does it all work, and how much work for me and how much for the guy with the laser?

Construct, turn and finish the pen blank as normal up to the point where you would mount the fittings. Send just the blank without fittings to be engraved. Best if the blank is turned bushing to bushing without large changes in diameter. Not hard at all.

Do you want to engrave and inlay??

If you are going to make a blank partly out of wood and partly acrylic, the mixture of materials would be the challenge. Acrylic just vaporizes without much color change, but wood burns and so leaves a dark brown, (black) line. From your description, you want to do a photo picture type of engraving. Think of this effort as a collaboration. Communication is the key.

Hope this helps.

The backround would be acrylic and the boat "fishing trawler" would be out of iron bark and inlaid into the blank. The wood is about 80 years old. I'm planing on using a jr. retro kit. Is this reasonable?

Sberger

I have a laser, and have done lots of stuff over the years. Acrylics, corian, and plastics are not really good candidates. The laser will mark them, but you really can't see much. They can be filled with colors and materials like "Rub n' Buff". Woods are great. Brown woods work best. Maple, and Walnut are not quite as good, IMHO. Mesquite is my favorite. Most lasers use two systems of marking which are a little different. Think of the laser as a magnifying glass focused with its most intense pinpoint beam. In "Raster" mode it moves the beam back and forth over the computer programed image and burns the material and the wood is vaporized and exhausted from the machine. The image is cut and burned into the material. In the second mode, "Vector", the outline, and specific lines of the image are burned into the material. Marking pens with names I use a little wooden block to mount the pen into, and then just vector the name into the barrel. Can even be done if the pen is completely finished. To make an image around the barrel, then you need an attachment to the laser which will turn the pen as the image is burned. This attachment is about $1200. Laser machines usually cost between $10K to $20K. Not a business that you will make your investment back at $5 per pen. To make a profit, you will need a lot of business to justify the initial cost. Never complain about the cost of lasering your pens.
Just a quick and concise answer.
Steve

Top Bottom