Laser Kits from the 1/29 meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EuroChris

Has anyone from the penturners meeting at Woodcraft turned their Laser kit yet? How did it turn out?

My boys are doing a baseball and bat one and a dice one. After the meeting we stuck around and got some help from Dave with the assembling of the kits. Afterwards we went to our workshop and trimmed the blanks even with the tubes and glued everything up. By then it was later in the evening and we didn't have time to do any turning so the rest will have to wait until this weekend. But I'd guess at least a few people went straight home and completd their kits.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
I didn't hit the shop last night, but I do plan on gluing mine up one night after work this week... Then I'm planning on throwing something on the lathe that I have 2 blanks of so I can do a direct comparison between CA and the new finish to see how it turns out.

Davej_07

I had grabbed the same Celtic knot kit that Dave made for th demo. I had a bad failure while turning it, a chunk of the green broke out and flew off. I found it and glued it back in and surprisingly the break isn't visible after the finish was applied. All in all it was a good experience.

Dave

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I still haven't been in the shop and I was home most of the day. :frown:

Dave, I'm glad you found the piece and everything turned out.

I hope to get some shop time tomorrow.

EuroChris

Well, my sons turned their lazerlines kits today and they turned out really well. They used the woodturners finish that was demo'ed at the meeting and that seemed to do a very nice job. One kit was given five coats and one was given eight. I think we might have been a little conservative with the finish so it might be more like three and five coats. The baseball kit pieces had a very good fit and you couldn't see any tube. The dice kit wasn't quite as nice a fit plus all the dots needed to be filled. We followed some advice and used charcoal powder and the Starbond CA to fill it in(thanks, Dave) and that turned out great. We're going to work on taking some decent pictures and uploading them to the site in the next few days. But all in all it was not as daunting a project as we thought it might be. Defintely plan to do some more of the laser kits.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
Glad to hear they turned (no pun intended) out. :rolleyes:

A lot of folks are intimidated by laser kits because of the cost and because they look complicated. Once they play with them they realize that most of them are not as difficult as they thought.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures. Make sure they bring their pens to the next meeting.

EuroChris

Ok here is a picture of the Lazerlines wall street 2 pens my boys turned on Sunday. It's the best picture out of a dozen. I'm looking forward to the photo demo at the next meeting.

Attachments

• laser pen kits (500x375).jpg
    laser pen kits (500x375).jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 282

alphageek

Former Moderator
Looks like they did a great job with them! I still havn't turned mine cause I've had a cold for the last week :(

Anyone else get theirs done??

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
:rolleyes: I still haven't finished the one I did the demo with yet. Heck, I'm retired and there's not enough hours in the day. :biggrin:

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
OK I've shamed into finishing my demo pen.
Who else has finished there's? Prove it with pics.
Here's mine. :)

Attachments

• Img_0569-1.jpg
    Img_0569-1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 214

Woodlvr

Very nice looking pens. Great job. I have around twelve kits to do I cannot wait to get back into the shop.

firewizard

I was a little too anxious to get my cross pattern pen completed and neglected to paint the tube so there are a couple spots where if you're looking at just the right angle you can see brass. I'd have tried using tinted epoxy as a filler if I'd caught it earlier in the process... but I have no idea what color I'd use to match fuchsia and chartreuse (yeah, the colors in the picture are pretty accurate :eek:). Still, the assembly was fairly easy and I had it done the weekend after meeting using a two-tone black Ti Sierra kit.

Like others in this thread I also used the General Finishes sample and am happy to report that it worked just fine in an unheated shop at about 40 degrees with only about five minutes between each of the six coats... which is better results than I've had with CA finishes I've attempted lately...

- Corey

Attachments

• SierraCrossPattern.jpg
    SierraCrossPattern.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 177

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
Nice job.

I've started painting the tubes on all the inlay kits. If need be I use powdered charcoal to fill any gaps between pieces, not that that would have worked on yours because of the colors. What you can do is take a piece of left over wood if there is any and make saw dust with it and use that and CA to fill.

Top Bottom