Laser Engraving Do's and Don'ts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnathan

I was looking forward to visiting with a local laser engraver. Made the 20 minute trip, parked the car, looked in the back seat, and found my daughter throwing up all over my leather interior convertible! [xx(][xx(]Well, I had to turn around a go home to clean her (and the car) up. I'm so glad it was leather...the smell will actually go away...right?[V]

I was able to return to the engravers later on with a couple of pens in hand. My question, yes I'm getting to it, [?]Do you find it easier to have pens engraved before you assemble them? It seems it would be easier just dealing with a tube. I'm putting a very small logo on each pen and I'm thinking of giving him just the tube.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkoehler

It is probably up to the engraver.
the couple that i have talked to said it doesnt matter, but they preferred the whole pen assembled.
that way they can tell where the best spot is and what will look best if the pen is assembled.

at least this is what I have been told.

btboone

The biggest thing to determine that is if the design goes all the way around the pen, so needs a rotary axis, or if it's all on one side. If it's all on one side, having the pen complete is fine. It might be a little trickier to mount a complete pen in a rotary axis.

Dario

Above answer is right but some engravers also prefer the tubes only since some can better hold the tube easier as-is.

I am sure more knowledgeable guys will chime in.

BTW, you can use Febreeze on your backseat [;)][:D]

Johnathan

Originally posted by btboone
<br />The biggest thing to determine that is if the design goes all the way around the pen, so needs a rotary axis, or if it's all on one side. If it's all on one side, having the pen complete is fine. It might be a little trickier to mount a complete pen in a rotary axis.

No, it's not a design that goes around the pen. I notice on the emperor that we placed in his jig that the clip was a little too big. He said he could make to work. He did get a little nervous when I told him how expensive they were. He was happy that I brought a couple of practice tubes that I had turned just to test it out. I'm not that stupid...prove to me you can do it, then you touch my pens! lol[:D]

ryannmphs

I would rather have the pen assembled, or at least have all the pressed in/glued on components on, and remove what does not need to go with the pen to be engraved. My reason? Well, I had a beautiful piece of Aus. Cypress, all done up and ready to assemble after engraving. Got the pen engraved, went to assemble and the LOWER blank cracked[:(!], the upper blank was engraved, so to me, the pen was a total loss. After making a new one, I assembled it, then sent it off for engraving.

Ryan

gerryr

My engraver wants them assembled, except for the clip if the engraving is being done on the upper barrel. That way he can choose the best place for the engraving. BUT, I've never had one that goes all around the barrel, not even sure he could do it.

Funstarz

It will depend on the engraver. It will depend on the jig they use. The engraver here in Seguin lets me do my own if they are not busy or after hours. I use a box with a lot of index marks and molding clay with plastic wrap over the clay. I only take the clip off if the design goes all the way around.

realgenius

If your engraver is smart he'll have a decent jig for the pens to sit on. If not let me know, as I've said before I ran a 50watt laser for 18 mos and made pen jigs for our shop. I can still turn out a jig or two. [:)]

Debra

btboone

I don't use a jig. I simply burn the CAD drawn outline of the pen onto some cardboard that I tape to the floor. It shows exactly where the pen should lay. I've found on occasion that my laser homes out in a position maybe .015" different than other times. It must be getting an extra encoder revolution from the time it hits a limit switch whem homing. This process gets me dead nuts engraving every time and on any shape.

woodwish

My engraver prefers just the unassembled parts, and I assemble them later. Haven't done many pens that got engraved, but have had my daughters throw up a few times. They are grown now and don't have the problem, but one of their dogs still gets carsick everything - the Febreeze hint above is a good one! [8D]

realgenius

btboone, Bruce can you engrave words/lettering onto your rings?? My daughter graduates w/dble maj in may and the school rings are so blah. I'd like something different.

Thanks, Debra
you can e-mail me; realgenius@earthlink.net

btboone

Hi Debra, Yes, I can laser fire ceramic, so that it's imbedded right into the pores of the metal. I can do any type of artwork or lettering you want. It turns out black, and is hard as a coffee mug.

I just lasered an antique cane today. It was something like 32" long with a silver human face on the end. It was some kind of nice dark hard wood. The laser got down to lighter wood underneath, and looked awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom