Laser advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

It really depends on what you want to do with it. Engraving pens can bee done with the boys type neje with a jig. That combination can be had for around $150-175. But the engraving area is pretty small, about an inch square.

Up the price to the neje master series and you have a larger engraving area, about 6"x6" and with a jig you can also engrave pens. The lower powered master series, 3500, with jig will run about $250. There are higher powered units in the master series available and you could go with one of those while still keeping the price under $350 (fairly easily if you are patient). I've got a 15W master series on order which cost me $180, and the rising not Adams another $75.

Those options are "blue" lasers. From there the price can go really high but so does the capability of the laser. The CO2 lasers are a different breed altogether!

Hope this helps.

Reactions: DrD

chartle

I have a box laser with the first design of the "jig" (two pieces of plywood bolted to the sides with grooves for a threaded rod and you stretch the rubber bands over the bushings) and a NEJE master 3500. The box is a toy but the Master is a real tool. The pen jig looks a tad fiddly but appears to get the job done. It comes in 3 models, its been said the 3500 is for fine detail work and the 20 watt for cutting with the 7 watt inbetween.

I'm building my own Overly Engineered (TM) Rotating jig using a seperate stepper motor. Too much Xmas turning to fool around with it now. :)

TonyL

I just bought two 3500, and I am enjoying them. I am also using them with a rotary jig to engrave names - just did 4 yesterday. I own a jig fpr the 3500, but it is slightly incompatible.
I own 2 1000 mw and they served their purpose.

I find the 3500 s/w much easier to use, connect etc. Those are the only model that I am familiar with, there may be better.

Nancy Mcintire www.nmclasers.com, great service/support and fair prices

I've got a NEJE 1500 and to very honest, I'm not all that impressed with it. I got mine off Amazon for around $80.00. Keep your eyes open as they run specials every so often.

keithbyrd

I was looking up some specs on the NEJE and found this note "It can not engrave metal, acrylic and any other retardant material. White material doesn't work well"
I muse a fair amount of antler and acrylics - does it work on those materials?

chartle

I was looking up some specs on the NEJE and found this note "It can not engrave metal, acrylic and any other retardant material. White material doesn't work well"
I muse a fair amount of antler and acrylics - does it work on those materials?
While I haven't done it yet there are hacks to get around this like using painters tape and/or wipe off marker.

If you join the NEJE Master group you will see examples of engraving both.

cseymour

Hello All,
Was following this thread as I too am thinking of getting a laser to add some fun to my pens.
I see on Nancy's site the 3500 Master Combo and the Benson jig are sold out.
I did not see a way to contact Nancy -- does anyone have an email address (I am one of the few not on Facebook)

Thank you

cseymour

Hello All,
So on the 3500 Master unit -- there is no box around the laser -- can this be placed on a work table, apologies for the flood of posts, just received approval from management to get this so am trying to gather as much intel as possible before permission is rescinded :)

cseymour

Hello all,
One last question. When you engrave a pen, wood you engrave first and then apply finish (most probably GluBoost, CA or pens plus) or would you apply finish and then engrave.

Thank you

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

chartle

Hello All,
So on the 3500 Master unit -- there is no box around the laser -- can this be placed on a work table, apologies for the flood of posts, just received approval from management to get this so am trying to gather as much intel as possible before permission is rescinded :)
Yes pretty much but it should be screwed down to a nice sized heavy board, about 12 by 14 ish. Other wise it can slide around.

keithbyrd

I received a NEJE 3500 Master laser for Christmas! SO getting ready to set it up today and mess around a bit. Two questions:
what software do you use? Inkscape, Neje, other? Also what is a good jig for rotational engraving?

chartle

I received a NEJE 3500 Master laser for Christmas! SO getting ready to set it up today and mess around a bit. Two questions:
what software do you use? Inkscape, Neje, other? Also what is a good jig for rotational engraving?
Inkscape is a vector graphics program and can create graphic files , either raster or vector.

The neje software controls the engraver and can do very limited graphics. Really just text.

chartle

I'm slogging thru learning GIMP for raster graphics.

Oh and I'm building an over engineered rotary jig using a separate stepper motor.

Top Bottom