Knife Reset

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
SO, I got me this here knife that is fairly old and needing "reset" for lack of a better word. Screws are missing, broken off, it is dull, the button no longer releases the blade, struggle to just open it. This was given to me by my unit in Iraq in 2007 and I have basically had it with me every since. It is a quality tool that just needs some TLC.

Does anyone do knife refurbishing or know of a worthwhile company that does this kind of work? I would really like some assistance on this.

Attachments

• knife3.jpg
    knife3.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 100
  • knife2.jpg
    knife2.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 103
  • knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 100
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MedWoodWorx

SO, I got me this here knife that is fairly old and needing "reset" for lack of a better word. Screws are missing, broken off, it is dull, the button no longer releases the blade, struggle to just open it. This was given to me by my unit in Iraq in 2007 and I have basically had it with me every since. It is a quality tool that just needs some TLC.

Does anyone do knife refurbishing or know of a worthwhile company that does this kind of work? I would really like some assistance on this.
Gerber is a quality company, i bet you could do it yourself these torx screws come off and some oil should sort things out

sorcerertd

You could probably do some beautiful handles for it if you wanted to. Sounds like it could have some sentimental value as it sits. As for function, what about soaking it in some mineral oil to loosen things up? As has been said already, though, Gerber will most likely stand behind their products.

You could probably do some beautiful handles for it if you wanted to. Sounds like it could have some sentimental value as it sits. As for function, what about soaking it in some mineral oil to loosen things up? As has been said already, though, Gerber will most likely stand behind their products.

Still haven't heard back from Gerber on knife, this is second time I have reached out them.

DrD

Gerber is not what they used to be, in my experience. Have you taken the knife apart? In the photos, the only screws that appear to be missing are those allowing you to reposition the clip for a tip up carry. If you wanted to fill those holes, it shouldn't be too difficult to find replacements. If the button isn't working, the small spring inside may need to be repositioned or replaced. If North Carolina has no ban on spring-assisted opening knives, you may be able to look for a custom knife maker in NC that can help you. My spring-assisted knives all do better with an occasional disassembly, cleaning and oiling, pocket lint plays havoc with those mechanisms.

egnald

There are a couple of knife repair and restoration shops in North Carolina you could get an estimate from. One is Lamar Sharpening up in Burlington and the other is Apex in the Raleigh-Durham area. I think Lamar is more into repair and refurbishment than Apex. - Dave

WriteON

Is it automatic? If so be real cautious shipping it. Legal in some states. Illegal in others. Check the laws first if you ship it. Do not use USPS.
Are there any local gun/knife shows? Maybe find a local knife maker

Last edited:
Top Bottom