Kitless pen with magnetic cap

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AbleSnail

Hey,
do you have any proven solutions for a kitless pen with a magnetic cap? I will gladly preview your ideas and projects.
greetings
Grzesiek from AbleSnail

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I did one a few years ago....... you can see the thread here. The magnetic cap design is really simple. One in the cap and one on the body. They basically just replace the threads.
1590493129446.png

Jontello

I did one a few years ago....... you can see the thread here. The magnetic cap design is really simple. One in the cap and one on the body. They basically just replace the threads.
View attachment 239701
What type of magnet cause i am assuming you need to turn it to the proper shape and size so you can install it onto the pen cap and body. Where can I get them. I am in Europe so where you get them i am sure i can get also. Thanks skiprat

Dehn0045

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Just for the record..... for this pen, I completely worked around the dimensions of the magnets. After discovering just how brittle magnets are, I made no attempt to machine or bore them at all.
good luck. Let us know how you get on.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Completely true Dan, but I think using just one magnet can make your design quite complex. You need the cap to 'pull' the parts together .
I also found that the damned magnets would pick up crap from everywhere. ;)

More4dan

Completely true Dan, but I think using just one magnet can make your design quite complex. You need the cap to 'pull' the parts together .
I also found that the damned magnets would pick up crap from everywhere. ;)

I was going to try one a while back and got some 440c SS rod but never got around to it. I thought of making a ring on the body with a magnet in the cap.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That would work of course, and sounds simple and logical.....provided the nib / grip section isn't also ferric.

AdventiveIowa

The magnetic system (magnet and ferritic pieces) will seek a state with the least "reluctance". Reluctance is sort of the magnetic term for resistance (if you think of it like an electric circuit). So magnets and ferritic materials have low reluctance and the air obviously has high reluctance.

So if your nib/section is ferritic, the magnet may try to center itself on the section instead of pulling up against the metal in the body.

It's all about minimizing the magnetic potential in the system, so if you can set it up to have one clear magnetic circuit then it will hold together well. If the whole body is metal that may make it the easiest to design a magnetic circuit that holds the cap on. With acrylic parts you should sketch out where all the magnetic and paramagnetic (ferritic) pieces are to see the path that the magnetic flux will take to complete its circuit.

-Hank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom