Kitless fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from 1shootist

1shootist

My first kitless fountain pen , I did cheat though by using a El Grande / Cambridge nib section since I dont have any of the tap / dies for fp's.
This was intended to be rollerball for a friend till disaster surfaced and I drilled the end out, next best thing was use it for practice , I had been wanting to try attaching a clip and suddenly here was the test blank.

The blanks are alumilite from Exotic Blanks called "Magma Flows". Both black end caps are rhinoplastic. The section is threaded M10 x 1 for the El Grande piece. Cap and barrel are M13 x 1 and due to the drill out mentioned above both end caps are also M13 x 1.
I'm not sure what kit the clip is from as it apparently died earlyon in my pen making and this was all that remained.

I didnt put a lot of effort into polishing but honestly I don't think I could have improved the luster much more. I have absolute Hell polishing alumilite., if theres a secret to it please tell me. I've tried sandpaper, micro mesh pads, Dr. Kirks scratch remover, Meguire's Plastx, Renaissance wax and yet get nowhere near the shine as I can from rhinoplastic or AA.

Thanks for any tips, comments đź‘Ť

PSX_20191210_142718.jpg
PSX_20191210_142637.jpg
PSX_20191210_143025.jpg
PSX_20191210_142835.jpg
PSX_20191210_142426.jpg
PSX_20191210_143134.jpg
PSX_20191210_154359.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

Very nicely done. I like the surface finish as it is, but I share your frustration getting alumilite polished to a high lustre. It has been recommended to me to wet sand with abranet to get all tooling marks out, then go through the whole series of micromesh pads (wet), and then use a plastic polish. I think it is important to work slowly and examine the surface closely as you go along; I have gotten to final polishing stages only to find circumferential tooling or sanding marks that I had missed in my haste to finish up.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Want a great shine on alumilite?

Do a glu-boost finish! After sanding to 1000 or so, just start a glu-boost with the blue label (builds a little), do 2-3 coats and one or two of the orange thin and wait until it cures (prefer next day), sand with 600 grit to level and buff with tripoli, then white diamond. It will look GREAT!!

darrin1200

That looks awesome Russ, especially for a first kick at the cat. I guess this means you will be ready for the Kitless contest during the Birthday Bash 2020.
I am running it this year, and I hope to see your entry.

Top Bottom