Kitless Burlwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Prinsen

Prinsen

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted, haven't been doing nothing though.

Here's a pen made from stabilized (I think maple) burl. FInished with CA glue and sleeved with DiamondCast Red Cherry.
DSC_8237.jpg

Still need to get a nib for it. Hoping to get something really really custom for it, but we'll see.

One thing I've noticed though is that, although the wood is sleeved for about 5 cm into the wood, and it has been stabilized with colored resin, and also finished with CA glue, its still moving. You can see some some uneven spots on the pen and there's even some small cracks in the CA glue. Any ideas how to prevent this. I used about 25 coats of low and medium viscosity CA glue. Maybe I just sanded too much away?
DSC_8287.jpg

Thanks for the help, hope you like it!

-Teun

Attachments

• DSC_8279.jpg
    DSC_8279.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC_8281.jpg
    DSC_8281.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC_8283.jpg
    DSC_8283.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC_8284.jpg
    DSC_8284.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 184
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

That is a really beautiful pen !!!

I like the "hybrid" idea ... the wood and the resin colors really go well together.

Please show us the final pen after you choose a nib .... will it be a gold nib ?

Prinsen

That is a really beautiful pen !!!

I like the "hybrid" idea ... the wood and the resin colors really go well together.

Please show us the final pen after you choose a nib .... will it be a gold nib ?
Thank you!

If what I'm wanting to try doesn't work out I'll do a 14kt JoWo. If it does, it'll probably be a custom made nib with the ultimate dream of having it be Mokume Gane-like to match the wood of the pen.

But I'm getting ahead of myself, it may not even be possible.

Dehn0045

Very nice! As for the wood movement/cracking, I'd probably only use stabilized wood for something like this

Top Bottom