Kit instructions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

Who writes this stuff? o_O
It has been a while since I've made a pen so I had this slimline Pro kit on hand.
Reviewing the assembly directions made me have to read it several times and it still confuses me.
They say to insert the 'narrow' end of the plastic click mechanism into the blank but that would be wrong.
And there is a later reference to the 'barrel', which is not referenced on the parts breakdown anywhere.
Also, how many times do you need to be told the click mechanism is being pushed in more?
I can image that someone who is really new to this would be greatly confused.
BTW, I know exactly how this goes together. :)

SP_dir.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

The Slimline Pro is a PSI pen kit. . These instructions have confused/frustrated me also.
The instructions were written many years ago ... (there is probably a date at the bottom of the instruction sheet). . By whom? . Who knows?
I would think that many people, like you, have noted the inadequacies of the instructions over the years; some would have reported them.
Such is life in the world of hobbyists making kit pens !! . Confusion? . Frustration?
Yes, sir! . And PSI is probably the very best for documentation.
Sounds like you have been through this before. . I hear you. . And I empathize. . But we just carry on and get the job done! . And we enjoy it!
:) ;)

BTW ... you didn't mention that there is no "center band" labelled on the diagram ... and the "pen coupler" should actually be called the "nib coupler" (or "tip coupler") to be more correct and clear.

And, just to elaborate on your point about the click mechanism "narrow end first" concept, they forgot to say to insert from the "nib end".
"Nib end" of what? . . Well, the upper "barrel" ... er tube ... of course !

As an "editor", I could list a few other points .... but what's the "point"? . I think you've made it !

"The pen is now ready to use. . Just click the plunger to extend or retract the refill." .... Who would have thought of that ?

Last edited:
Reactions: DrD

magpens

I just wish I could write some instruction for 'their' stuff!šŸ¤£
Well ......... you can do that. . But where would you publish? . I suppose you could develop an "Instructions" section for IAP. . Lotsa work, tho'.

Thing is ... altho' 'their' instructions have some deficiencies, they are the best in the industry when compared to others.
There is no other company that provides detailed dimensions like PSI does, and that is very important in my opinion.
And their diagrams are extremely good, overall.
I also like that every kit you buy from them has the complete instructions right in the baggie with the kit parts.

I am not a big fan of all of their kits, but I think they do a great job of their documentation, generally speaking, altho' needs editing in places.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrD

Dale Allen

This speaks volumes as to the abilities of those who make working pens from these kits.
Which is why I seldom actually read or follow instructions. Hehe, that could also explain my other issues!šŸ˜°

donstephan

I don't make a lot of pens, and I've only used kits from Berea Hardwoods, but I've been very impressed by their instructions, Granted, they are on-line rather than in the kit packages, but that approach allows one to read the instructions as part of the buying decision making process, and hopefully that lowers the price of the kits a couple pennies.

JonathanF1968

I think a lot of directions are written by engineers who do not speak the "target language" if the directions (i.e., English), and are constructing them word by word via a translation dictionary.

Top Bottom