Kind of different look

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I got this blank from Bill Jacob (Ilikewood) and finally decided to do something with it... seemed a chrome cigar would be right so here it is... interesting gray laminate, I think it is like dymonwood, but does not feel the same... came out nice though... finish is sand to 600, burnish with brown paper bag, cellulose sanding sealer buffed with 0000 steel wool cloth, then 3 coats thick CA buffed between coats and EEE polish, plastic polish and Ren wax....

200541120938_LaminateCigar.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

driften

Looks nice! Hey how do you decide where to put the clip? I have been putting the nicest grain to the sides but maybe that is the wrong way about it.... I guess best grain on the side of the clip unless the clip covers something you want to show off?

ilikewood

I actually pulled that blank from a trash bin (real dumpster diving!) It is a charcoal birch laminate cutoff from production of compound bows. I guess they had no use for the last 3/4" from the sheets...luckily for us! [8D]

BTW- Nice work Tom!!

mick

Great pen Tom! Looks like the same stuff I bought off eBay. One of the Patriots I turned this past weekend was out of it. I've got 11 more to do something with. Liked the way it turned tho!

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
<b>ARMOR PIERCING... WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' ARMOR PIERCING... WE HAVE PENS FINISHED WITH CA GLUE.. LOL</b>
Jeff as far as where the clip goes... it depends on the wood.. some woods I put the pretty side front.. some I try to hide a little defect or grain difference with the clip.. this one I decided the clip should follow the cut of the lamination.. the lamination runs bottom to top on the other side and just did not look right... all a matter of taste or what you want to hide.. LOL..

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Hey, now you can call my pen garbage and I won't be insulted.. LOL..
Bill, go get more of that stuff... it is a bit tricky, it's been a while since I looked at a compound bow (I shoot longbow and recurves), but they also make them in a camo pattern from the same laminations...

opfoto

Nice looking pen, Tom.

With my limited experience, I too use the clip to cover a bad spot or put it on so it doesn't hide the figure.

PenWorks

Very nice Tom, is that kind of silvery? I got one from Bill to. I cut mine last night
as well. I am waiting for the finish to dry. No wonder we both ended up with it, he got the darn thing out of the dumpster! I thought it was dymondwood I had not seen. Mine had a little
ketchup on it, now I know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom