Kauri - (wood gloat)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

punkinn

I rarely get to gloat about wood, so here's my 15 mins of fame.[?] A dear friend of mine lives in NZ and sent me these beautiful swamp/bog kauri slabs (with documentation; 45,000 yrs old). I was ecstatic to see the beautiful figure in these pieces; I don't think the photos show it very well, but I can't wait to turn some of this stuff! :)

kauri1.JPG

kauri2.JPG

kauri3.JPG

kauri4.JPG

kauri5.JPG

Not quite as pretty as Dario's latest chestnut "haul" but I'm happy. [:I] Each slab is 1 inch thick, and about 5 x 10 inches in size.

Have a great week, everyone!
Nancy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Nancy,

Good gloat. It does have very good figure. One thing I noticed is that it looks different from the other ancient kauri I've seen so far.

punkinn

Originally posted by Dario
<br />Nancy,

Good gloat. It does have very good figure. One thing I noticed is that it looks different from the other ancient kauri I've seen so far.

I know... all I'd seen (pen-wise, anyway) was very straight-grained and kind of plain. However, I've seen a lot of larger pieces with amazing grain - made into just about anything you can imagine (including sofas and tables and...).

I still like that chestnut though.... [:p]

Nancy

Neat!!!

I was watching a show on Discovery. There was a segment about this wood in a show on lumber yards and sawmills. There was this one tree that was mined and being transported that has a 15' diameter. Talk about big wood!!

Dario

Nancy,

Given the history of this wood...I am sure it will sell much better [^]. As I said, the figure is wonderful too, then again you don't need us to tell you that [;)]

I am with the guys...where can we find such friend? [:D]

punkinn

Thank you, everybody. [:)] Ron, I have seen some photos similar to the huge size you're describing, and some really huge tables, sofas, even a staircase made of single-piece swamp kauri.

I will definitely post photos when I get the nerve to cut the slabs up. [;)]

And Roger... no one has called me "Nance" since, since.... hmmmm. Since I was in high school and my Army days when I was playing clarinet... &lt;twilight zone theme starts up again&gt; [:D] Recovery/relearning goes very well, by the way. Email forthcoming shortly. [:eek:)]

And Johnathan.... my first look at your web site. Very nicely done, and your work is lovely and extremely well-presented.

Happy Monday! [ugh] [;)]
Nancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom