Katalox burl - pics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

chitswood

Hey, what kind of information can you guys give me about katalox burl?

Dad brought home quite a bit the other day, but I know nothing about it, I've never turned it.

The burl is green, the blank I tried drying in the wicrowave warped like crazy. Also, I noticed that katalox wood looks like a mix of granadillo and purpleheart, but only the center of my burl is that color, which leaves me with over 150 pounds of white katalox burl. Is that sapwood? do the heart and sap have the same characteristics?

I cut some amazing looking slabs, but I'm afraid to do anything with them!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodlvr

I third that idea-I would be willing to sacrifice a pen kit and some time and materials to try it out. [:D][}:)][:)]

chitswood

Hey, these are two of the slabs I cut, they aren't the best looking, but they're pretty enough. The lower picture is a large 70 pound slab has the brown color in the middle.

I'm seeing how well I can get the slabs to dry right now, some checks have surfaced, its for the whole slab, cooked on high for two minutes, the checks are very small.
DSC07487.jpg

DSC07489.jpg

Dario

Oh. I like some pen blanks [:D]...especially the darker or mixed (two-tone) color ones. Let me know when you have some milled. [;)]

chitswood

I don't want to get a great lathe and figure out I want the next biggest one.
As of now I'm getting ready to sell lots of wood, I doubt I'll trading wood for a lathe, so I have to get my inventory moving.

I'll talk to Dad later about what lathe to get.

darbytee

Darick, I"d like some of those pen blanks when they're ready too. A mix of sapwood and heartwood if possible. Also, I sent you an email recently about some bowl blanks. Did you get it?

ilikewood

Katalox is a very deep purple wood that is really hard and nice. It has a very white/tan sapwood, and that is what this burl appears to be. WHAT A BEAUTY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom