Just to vent - Harbor Freight pressure tank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Valin6210

Yes, it's Harbor Freight so shouldn't expect the best, but still.

Picked up the pressure tank on Monday to do casting. Picked up the parts needed for the conversion yesterday, put it all together and found out there was a manufacturing defect where one of the top clamp brackets was welded in the incorrect spot and the bolt would bottom out in the clamp and couldn't put enough pressure on the lid so it leaked at 20 psi.

Wen t back to HF today and exchanged it for the other one on the shelf. Got that was all put together and it has a faulty safety valve which pops at 30 psi (yes, I tried turning it to see if it would adjust). Rather than keep trying my luck will just bite the bullet and pick up a new safety valve tomorrow.

Just irritating that 2 out of 2 tanks had some sort of issue. Clearly there is no quality testing or control going on with these units.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

montmill

Personally I'd be careful with it. I tried one also and decided to use it for vacuum only. I was able to find a used Bink painter pressure pot for $100 and after a new seal from the local Sherman Williams store am a happy man.

JohnU

I've been using HF tanks for more than 10 years with no problems. I've had some clamps go bad but I always strip off usable parts before replacing a tank, so I can replace things like that. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully you'll be up and running in no time. You can't beat the set up price for beginning the hobby. Just know your tanks limits. They are not all built the same.

cjester

When I set up my HF pot I bought a higher quality safety valve from Grainger. Unfortunately, I was never able to get it to fully seal, there was always a slow leak. Eventually I decided that I was more comfortable just buying the California Air pot from Woodcraft.

I have found that with specialty tools, it is just better to buy the name brand quality ones. When I do purchase a pressure tank for casting, it will be the California Air Tools pressure pot. Saving pennies for it but prevents me from having to do a bunch of work to modify the tank or dealing with defective issues as you are describing.

Yes, the pot is like $270 but with all of the work you have done and the back and forth, have you really saved any money based on time, travel, gas, etc? Think of it in that regard.

Alchemist

I used a HF tank for my first castings… actually, for quite a bit of time. I did eventually buy a CAT pressure pot. It was bigger and I didn't have to sit and wonder about it. My first tank sits on a shelf.

Valin6210

I have found that with specialty tools, it is just better to buy the name brand quality ones. When I do purchase a pressure tank for casting, it will be the California Air Tools pressure pot. Saving pennies for it but prevents me from having to do a bunch of work to modify the tank or dealing with defective issues as you are describing.

Yes, the pot is like $270 but with all of the work you have done and the back and forth, have you really saved any money based on time, travel, gas, etc? Think of it in that regard.
Yep, $100 for the pot and so far $28 in additional parts. As far as time and gas the HF is pretty much on my way home, as is Lowe's. so not really any extra gas or time there. The pot is now fully sealed and the first pen blanks are curing at 50 psi.

In the event I do decide to upgrade I am sure I can convert this over to a larger vacuum pot to replace my mason jar setup :)

PatrickR

been using the HF for years. I replaced the relief valve preemptively. It works fine and is a good size for me. A 5 gal would be way bigger than I need.

Top Bottom