Just something I hammered out today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Firefyter-emt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

I have been needing a new mallet for a while now and I had this purple heart that I wrapped around some FIG wood (found in garage) ;) I think it's ash but I am not quite sure although it is a hard wood.

I kinda like it, the color combo works nice.. It's hanging in the shop to darken for a few days before I finish it and part it off the rest of the way.

623072.jpg

623071.jpg

So that and getting the remote switch for my shop compressor wired up finished off my day. I now have a nice heavy duty 220V motor starter in my shop to turn on the compressor that is located in my celler. What a sweet deal that is!!:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

That first WHACK with the mallet ought to feel reeeeaallll spiritual, that's some nice work there. I love the transition from the strike to the handle.

The wood looks to me, based on color, to be maybe hickory. Hickory has those small brown flitches in it much more so than ash. If so, good choice for sure.

LEAP

Looks nice Lee,
About time you made something after doing all that work on the new and improved lathe. I showed my dad an article on a mallet like yours a couple years ago and asked him to make me one. He liked it so much that he kept it.

Firefyter-emt

Thanks guys.. It's a bit darker now and I have 2 heavy coats of BLO soaking into it now.

Frank, that is very easy to do. What you do is simply glue the PH around the handle wood. If I really wanted to be fussy, I would of made the PH with 45 degree cuts. The problem is that there is a lot of chance for gaps like that so I just made 2 wide and 2 narrow. Yellow glue and lots of pipe clamps to really crank it down. I did have a little goof that you can't see. I accidently cut on the wrong side of the line and had to trim the handle down a hair on 2 sides. My goof was that I had it mounted in my lathe once before (see riser block photos) and when I remounted it all glued up I used the same center points. Now when I cut the 2 sides down, my center line was now off. It only really shows up on the end of the handle.

Phil, I have been turning, just on the other lathe! I have been spinning steel in order to fabricate new thrust bearing shafts for the big band saw. If you remember, I had to replace the thrust bearings. The problem is that the bearing is a 40mm x 10mm which has not been made in maybe 50 years. I made entire new shafts to hold a 40mm x 17mm Nachi 6203 bearing. Now I have to build an adaptor to mount a milling attachment that I bought for my metal lathe. This will allow me to finish them with the "V" groove they need for the adjuster bolt. Once that's done I can finish polishing them up and make more to sell on e-bay to pay for the milling attachment!

What a mess with the metal turning though..[;)]

WT-18B.jpg

WT-19B.jpg

WT-22B.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom