Just saying high

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

hazard

Hi all

I have been doing woodworking for 13 years now. I am located south of Madison WI. I have done alot of the general furniture for my house(dressers/tables/chairs etc.). I got into bowl turning like 10yrs ago so I have a little history with my lathe. Maybe turned 75-100 bowl with another 200 roughed out around the house. I have been sidelined from the hobby for awhile do to young kids and other hobbies.

Another passion in the woodworking hobby for me is cutting and milling logs. I probably have sawed 60 logs for myself and have 4000-5000bf of lumber in my basement/garage/shed/parents backyard. Lots of #1/#2 hardwood lumber. Nothing to die for but very usable. One wood that I would like to use for pens is the apple wood I had milled some time ago. We had an apple orchard up until 5 yrs ago. I cut down some cortland trees that I got 8' logs out of that were probably 10" at the base. Beautiful wood. After thinking about it I remember splitting many 12"-16" dia. red delicious logs when I was a kid.

Over the last few weeks I have been thinking about turning pens. I am getting bored with my other hobby-tropical fish so I need something different. I found this site when I was researching pen making. Tomorrow I am planning to stop at woodcraft and may purchase some general stuff and start turning some pens.

I have a question about the mandrels. Do you guys usually have a bunch of them set up with pens and when you are finishing multiple pen do have like an assembly line where you remove the mandrel when the finish is curing and put another mandrel in. stupid question but I figured I would ask.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Welcome to the group! I'm sure you'll enjoy turning pens, and you're in the right place for ideas, inspiration, answers to your questions, and general help. To answer your question, possibly some people have multiple mandrels, but I would say "most" of us don't do it that way. Speaking for myself, I have an 'A' mandrel mounted on my lathe (in a collet chuck) most of the time, and turn one pen at a time. Unless you're using a lacquer finish (or any other that has a long cure time) there's really no reason to have multiple mandrels. Again, welcome, look around, check out the library, etc. and have fun.

Fred

First, welcome to the Forum.

Like most others I only do one pen at a time. I however do use one madrel for one pen style as I keep the bushings on the mandrel for safe keeping and to avoid confusion if I were to ever drop severl bushings. I keep the pen kits in the Plano plastic storage trays with their individual mandrels. These trays are often found in Walmart in the sporting goods department.

Now, go back and complete yout PROFILE and that way folks here will get to know your name, and where you are located, etc.

ctwxlvr

HIya, I do one pen at a time and I do have three mandrels, a bent one I use for polishing, and a Pro A and a B mandrel Don't waste your time with the standard mandrel at wood craft get the pro you will be happier in the long run.

hazard

Thanks for the welcome.

Where can I get the Pro A and a B mandrel?

You know I have lumber that I will probably never use. Why ruin it. I should frame it. I should just start taking pictures of my lumber.

The skeeters are doing well after the 24" of rain in august.

Chris

GaryMGg

Welcome aboard.
Lots of the vendors linked on the home page offer tooling such as pro mandrels.
One member, Joe Collazo, also sells replacement rods and kits for use with the mandrels but his are better (imho). [;)]

drayman

hi, from the uk. i also do one at a time, cos i only have one pair of hands. [:D] [:D][:D][:D][:D][^]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom