Just a little practice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Spend some time working on small beads and columns, trying to keep my edges clean.

2005327154459_ToolPractice1.jpg

Didn't like the bottom pen so I removed the cb and changed the orientation of the lower barrel.

2005327154545_ToolPractice3.jpg

And here's some more practicing. Just buffed them out and assembled to check for balance and lines.

2005327155132_ToolPractice2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodChucker

Lou, I'd say you did a fine job! I end up throwing away the pens I use to test my turning skills on. I get to carried away and end up over doing it to the point where I don't even like what I did. [:D]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thank you all for looking and commenting. None of these were designed to be pens, but were really just challeges to myself to be able to produce balance, even beads, sharp steps and soft curves. If I don't practice, I'll never get comfortable with adding the artistic touches that so many of you have mastered. I appreciate and value the feedback.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Lou,

I enjoy the practice in pen making almost as much as producing a fine finished pen. (key word - Almost) I have made about two dozen pens and most have walked away [:)]. However, my quality in pen making has not come up to my expectations or my general woodworking ability; quality <b>finished</b> pens are still erratic at best. One good one, Two or three mediocre ones, mostly in the finish department.

But I enjoy the learning. I haven't even begun to experiment with true "turning" such as you did here, instead trying to focus on the basics for now. I am glad you posted this so that we can see that practice is still important in fine tuning what was already considered perfection. [:)]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks John and Hank. Fact is, I've spent most of my first 5-6 months of pen turning doing things by the book. I've gotten just a bit more comfortable about turning something that resembles a pen. I still go back to basics from time to time (thanks, Russ) to remind myself to focus on each step and continually strive to improve.

The artistic talent is an element that has been sorely lacking in my work thus far. While striving to maintain the consistency in the primary areas of pen-turning, I feel the need to move away from the comfort and more to the satisfaction. Constructive criticism and overwhelming support from our members is an amazing motivator to doing just that. Thank you, one and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom