Just a couple more pieces to finish my air line setup

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
For the first time I'm setting up a sort of cheapo 3/8" air line system to go from my 30 gal compressor over to my lathe. So far I've got the parts figured out all the way up to the box on the wall at the lathe. The parts I need advice on is from there to the end nozzle. Here's what I've source from Amazon so far..

IMG-1707.JPG

IMG-1709.JPG

The plan is to go from the wall box to the foot pedal, then on to some kind of flexible articulating arm which directs the end nozzle. Problem I'm trying to solve is that, as a new turner trying to learn, all those shavings really get in the way and it's so much of an interruption to keep constantly brushing it off. So I'd like to set something up that'll shoosh everything away at the tap of the pedal. Kind of surprised I haven't seen this in a youtube video before. You know, maybe it's because everybody else has good vacuum systems. I don't have a good extraction setup yet but it's high up on the list. Either way, I'm sure I'll still want this little idea going even after the vacuum.

The main blue line on the L is labeled 3/8 and has an OD of .37. The coiled blue line on the R OD is .32 so I guess that's not too much of a reduction. The adapter coming out of the pedal port in the 2nd picture says 6 and measures ID .247, and I'd rather just not use something that small, so the plan is not to use the two adapters and use just regular, I guess you call them '3/8 female connectors?' Anyway, just your regular air hose quick connect.

I've got a couple more of those coiled hoses coming. The one in the pic will go from the tank to the first wall box. After that the idea is to run one of these hoses from the wall box at the lathe to the pedal on the floor, then another from the pedal to the final air nozzle. Only 2 parts I'm missing is another air nozzle that's higher volume than the one pictured, and an articulating arm that's not wimpy but fairly flexible with lots of joints. Have yall seen that lathe track mount system at woodturner's wonders? That's an idea long time coming, huh? Anyhow, he offers a $70 part that's two flexible arms designed to hold the vacuum and position it basically anywhere you want. I'll probably end up with the thing, for the upcoming vacuum, but I just can't hand over that much for mounting this air nozzle, although honestly it's exactly what I need. Only instead of the 2 arms on his system I only need 1. Already thought of mounting the air on the future vacuum arms but I'd rather do it separately for more flexibility depending on the piece.

Any suggestion for another air nozzle or mountable articulating arm?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drewby108

If that's the husky setup from lowe's, I got my dad the same thing a couple years back and it's actually not half bad. Just the connectors and blue hose.

jttheclockman

I am not going to discourage you because I have no idea why this is needed and not heard many people using something like this. I hope you are not doing this just to turn pens. I have a dust collector hood to collect shavings and dust from my turnings. just can not see why you would want to blow dust around a shop when not needed. But do keep the forum updated as you go through with this and tell us and show us photos of your set up. Good luck.

MRDucks2

Two things that consider in my opinion. You either want to use a nozzle at the lathe that really opens up and disperses the air or a se something dialed back to a pretty low pressure. Otherwise you will run the risk of blowing shavings everywhere in an uncontrolled fashion. Not only will this put them where you do not want them but potiwntually create a safety hazard by blowing them into you face or the of others.

In any event, you will be stirring up fine dust particles, so make sure a decent respirator is also used or you may have issues in the years to come.

Also keep any other finishing area isolated from this work area. Again, the fine particles you stir up will take a long time to settle and get on everything.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I will head in the other direction. Seems like, as other have suggested that you want to blow the shavings away. For the long haul, and short haul, a vac / dust collector system with a collector at the lathe is much much better. You are right in your surmising that others invested in a dust collector system, which is why you haven't seen you tubes or threads here with that set up. The only place "at the lathe" blower would be viable is if the lathe were outdoors. (Some people do use a fan at one end of a lathe to blow CA fumes away, but that is different.)

Mike's comments are real issues. It may be good for a once or twice situation, but after the dust gets into your lungs and all over the place, you may be back tracking these thoughts soon after.

Dust collectors with a hose at the lathe are excellent at getting rid of the ribbons and shavings. You don't need an expensive one to get started. A decent 10-12 gallon 2 1/4" hose shop vac - and a hood similar to PSI's can be had for a little over $100 as a basic starter if you catch local sales (Home Depot, Lowes, HF, etc.)

leehljp

Member Liaison
I will head in the other direction. Seems like, as other have suggested that you want to blow the shavings away. For the long haul, and short haul, a vac / dust collector system with a collector at the lathe is much much better. You are right in your surmising that others invested in a dust collector system, which is why you haven't seen you tubes or threads here with that (BLOWER) set up. The only place "at the lathe" blower would be viable is if the lathe were outdoors. (Some people do use a fan at one end of a lathe to blow CA fumes away, but that is different.)
Clarifying statement it the previous post in Bold and Caps.

Thank you for the sage advice everybody. That was the most often mentioned concern asking this in other forums...the breathing in of unnecessarily created airborne particles. Just today I found and agreed to buy a used but nice 2 HP dust collector that comes with the Rockler 5 micron dust bag, fairly new as well. That lathe track and mountable arms are now on their way from WW, so after I get some hose I'll have the decent extraction system I've always needed. After that gets going I should probably do some turning and reevaluate my need for the air hose. Wherever this idea ends up I'm sure I'll appreciate having it.

Drewby108, the blue hose air system was from Amazon. I had originally found one from RapidAir but this one seemed to be the same parts and came in cheaper. Did a search for the Husky one at Lowes but wasn't able to find it.

MRDucks2, Woodtickgreg over at woodbarter.com suggested this part and it seems to be the materialization of your suggestion .. and not too much $ either... click air nozzle

Last edited:
Top Bottom