July 2013 Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

The next meeting will be on July 11 at 6:30 PM at Jim Hoechstetter's shop. With all the warm weather, we've had the past two months, I suspect we've all had more time in the shop to turn fabulous pens for fun and profit.

At this meeting I will be demonstrating several techniques for finishing pens including a couple of different CA finishing techniques, applying a shellac-based french polish for glossy wood finishes without CA, using a friction finish for those not wanting "plastic looking" wood pens and a how to on my finish technique for acrylics and similar materials. If time permits, I will also demonstrate making a closed-end pen.

Bring your latest creations for Show-and-Tell. We will also be doing a PITH (Pen-in-the-hat) and a blank swap again, so bring a pen and a few blanks to trade with other members. If you have items you would like to sell or swap, please bring them along as well.

For future meetings we will need volunteers to demonstrate techniques. I am looking for folks to step up and volunteer for demonstrations of:

* Segmenting pens with a variety of different wood species or acrylic colors
* Making pens with inlays, such as Celtic Knot pens
* Demonstrations of useful tools and jigs
* Casting your own polyester resin (PR) blanks (needs to be warm outside to so this because of the odors involved, so this needs to be done at our next meeting or whenever the warm weather returns).

If anyone would like to volunteer for any of the above, please send me a note or let me know at the meeting on the 11th.

Top Bottom