Jr Statesman II problem- New Update!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

I was contacted by CSUSA today, and they have found about 1/3 of their new inventory of the black TI Jr Statesman II's are mismatched. I just wanted everyone to know that they are aware of it, and if you have a black TI JSII, check your kit before you use it. They definitely did right by me to make it all okay. They can help you, too.

When I put together a buffalo horn Jr S. today, I realized when I pressed the nib collar in that the horn was too big. I knew that I had sanded to the bushing perfectly, and given that it was only my second JS that I have ever done, I assumed that maybe the bushing was too big. After disassembling it and putting it back on the lathe for sanding/polishing twice more to get it right, it went together and had a beautiful fit. I decided to check the African Blackwood JS that I had done the other day, before I called foul on the bushings. That pen had no problem, and I had done that one by the book as well. I can only assume that there was a variation between the two kits. Has anyone else had this problem? Am I crazy? I am thinking of writing CSUSA to see if they are aware of the problem.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thetalbott4

I havent had any variations, and I have done quite a few in the last few months. Not to say the didnt mix up some collars. Did you mic the 2 collars to see if they are different? That will tell you everything.

Woodnknots

Originally posted by thetalbott4
<br />I havent had any variations, and I have done quite a few in the last few months. Not to say the didnt mix up some collars. Did you mic the 2 collars to see if they are different? That will tell you everything.
I don't have a mic, and my calipers are in fractions of an inch only (cheapies from Sears). I know that in the blackwood pen, sanding to the bushings was perfect. in the horn pen, sanding to the bushings was too big. In fact, after disassembling the pen, I had to use the smaller end bushing to give me room to sand down far enough to match the collar. That tells me the bushings were fine, the pen kit was messed up.

davidrei

I've had the same problem on both ends of the pen body (nib end and end cap. The larger upper cap didn't seem to be a problem though. I've only done 4 Jr. Statesmans, but they've been consistent, sanding to the bushings left the wood very proud of the fittings.

nilsatcraft

Dave & Dave- Although I haven't heard of problems with the bushings like this before, these things can[/] happen. Assuming you're definitely using the Jr. 2 bushings with the Jr. 2 kits, there may have been a mix up with the manufacturer packaging. I would recommend talking to one of our techs to get this straightened out. 1-800-551-8876, option 2. I apologize for any inconvenience and I'm sure we can get this straightened out for you.

Johnathan

I had this problem too with the black titanium jr. gent. I was a little surprised to say the least when the pen was put together. The first thought was "You Idiot! What did you do now!" Well, I'm just glad it didn't take too long to figure out what happened.

The jr's are my favorite. I make them all the time and have only had this happen once. My only other problem has been the threads from time to time.

Woodnknots

Originally posted by Johnathan
<br />I had this problem too with the black titanium jr. gent. I was a little surprised to say the least when the pen was put together. The first thought was "You Idiot! What did you do now!" Well, I'm just glad it didn't take too long to figure out what happened.

The jr's are my favorite. I make them all the time and have only had this happen once. My only other problem has been the threads from time to time.
These three pens were my very first try with the Jr. Statesmans. I was a bit disappointed, to say the least, that I had 2 out of 3 kits be mismatched on me. I hope it's just my bad luck, and it's not a problem they're going to have with the batch that they just received from their supplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom