Jr Gent Cap shaving?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
I am going to make some Jr Gents soon and am extremely interested in possible mods. I am pretty salty with the Closed End action so i want to take the next step, which i am guessing would be modding parts, and omitting even more parts. I am planning on adding a matching finial for the top of the cap, but Is There Any such magic that can be done to the bottom of the cap? I know with the Classin American cap, you can drill the hole out carefully and omit the black and gold trim rings on the bottom of the cap. I have done a few Jr. Gents, and have not seen any way to mod it really. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigShed

Last edited:

mickr

If you have any Barons, it is easier to cusomize the centerband on that pen as the band is in pieces

RAdams

Banned
I don't have any Barons. I have never done that kit, so i don't have the tooling. The mini Tutorial for the CB was AWESOME!!! That opens up several possibilities! Smaller or Larger accent rings, multiple accent rings, no accent rings, etc. etc. Now i am amped to get on it! Thanks for posting the link!!

Anyone got a link to disassembly instructions for the clip end of the cap?

JimMc7

<snip>
Anyone got a link to disassembly instructions for the clip end of the cap?

If your are asking about the insert in the cap -- that usually comes out when I don't want it to :eek: -- press the cap in a spare tube and use a transfer punch (point in first) and, usually for me anyway, the insert will pop out first, then the cap.

RAdams

Banned
If i would have known it was that easy to remove i would have never used the factory one. Man my pen game is stepping up again! thank you folks so much! I am going to be making SICK pens very soon!

ldb2000

Ron , here is a picture of a Baron I modified the CB on . By the way the Baron is the same design as the Jr Gent basically , just a little smaller

1_baroness2.jpg

RAdams

Banned
Butch, Your work is absolutely spot on amazing! I looked at your gallery after you said it was mostly kitless. Like probably most, I have a list of penmakers from this site that i REALLY try hard to learn from simply because of how nice their work is. YOU, my friend, have worked your way up that list!

I remember discussing some mods with you a while back, but had no idea your skills were so incredibly advanced. Just to have something worthy of submitting to PMG. I SO want to be like you when i grow up! Thank you for sharing your amazing abilities so freely!

ldb2000

Butch, Your work is absolutely spot on amazing! I looked at your gallery after you said it was mostly kitless. Like probably most, I have a list of penmakers from this site that i REALLY try hard to learn from simply because of how nice their work is. YOU, my friend, have worked your way up that list!

I remember discussing some mods with you a while back, but had no idea your skills were so incredibly advanced. Just to have something worthy of submitting to PMG. I SO want to be like you when i grow up! Thank you for sharing your amazing abilities so freely!

Ron , I got those abilities here at the IAP . Up until 2 1/2 years ago I had never even worked a wood lathe or made a pen . This place is one of the most amazing places anywhere and the people give their knowledge freely .
The thing is to use that knowledge to advance your own skills . Tutorials and step by step instructions are great but they stymie creativity . Look at what people have done and try to figure out how they did it and then incorporate it into your own design . Never try to copy what someone else has done but use those ideas and add on to them or change them to what YOU want to do . You will learn more by failing then if someone gives you the answer in a neat little package , I have a box of failures that taught me how to succeed .
Most importantly , NEVER say "I could never do anything like that" because once you say it you will believe it and you will never be able to .

RAdams

Banned
Awesome advice too! What a man!

I will take heed to your words! There is only one penmaker on IAP that makes me doubt my own abilities, and then i realize that it is simply a matter of tools. If i had the right tools, I could do what that person does. After your advice, my new personal challenge is to create similar work as that person, without the machinery. But of course one step at a time!

Top Bottom