jigs and patterns for segmenting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi James. The reference from Todd (above) is an excellent place to start. My thoughts are mine only, there will be a WIDE variation of suggestions for you. For me, the design will dictate the jig. There are multitudes of segmenting designs, so it would be helpful if you decide on 2-3-4+ that appeal to you.

For inspiration, I'll suggest you browse here: Segmented Pens. And I will actually recommend starting from the last few pages, as most of those that have posted those are still active on IAP an can offer suggestions.

Additionally, the IAP Library also has a separate section for segmenting tutorials: Segmenting.

Keep asking questions... and enjoy the journey. šŸ˜Š

KenB259

I agree with Mark, the design your going after will require a jig designed to create whatever cuts you need to make. BUT, the cool thing is once you build a jig you will find many designs you can make with that one jig. Just takes a little experimenting.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Mark posted the link to the "Segmented Pens". That is an excellent resource, and segmenting is such a greatly variable subject that it would take a full page of explanations. "Start at the end and work back". - agreed and please continue on the the front to see such wonderful designs.

Then, Please come back to this post OR start another post with questions for suggestions in getting started. Plenty of people here to help.

jttheclockman

Patterns and segmenting jigs would take alot of typing so the best as mentioned is to take some time and do some reading in the Blank making sub forum "segmenting" Also the link about segmenting photos is a good one to see some eye candy and get some ideas. Also you can do a google search and check out segmented pens on Pintrest. You can get a whole bunch ideas. Also remember there are many different ways to make a pattern if you see something you like. Many people will build different jigs to do the same things but it works for them. So you will be better to take notes, try things on your own and develop your own methods and patterns. The sky is the limit. There are many patterns that have never been shown here and I am sure you will develop some of your own. Have fun and do ask questions.

Top Bottom