Jet mini VS mod to make it reversable

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottydont

I heard that one of the guys at Evergreen Woodturners sells a 3 way switch kit mod for the Jet Mini 1014VS to make it reversable for around $15 bucks. They will be at the Seattle Woodworking Show on April 8th-10th and I will check it out and let you know.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

Mudder

Originally posted by Randy.
<br />WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO MAKE THE LATHE RUN BACKWARD???

One reason would be to sand in the other direction. Never knew it was such a nice thing till I got the DVR.

jdavis

Sand in the other direction? Guess I am kinda slow. We sand with lathe on then turn it off and sand lenght wise. Works great for us. Alot of different ideas on sanding out there. Whatever suits your fancy.

driften

Yea John Swanson did the reverse switch on his jet vs mini. He is very happy with it. I am guessing its his lathe you are talking about. He says reverse helps in sanding. The idea is sanding with the grain going the other way works better. I think I read that in some of the turning books also. I don't think he uses reverse on pens though.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by jdavis
<br />Sand in the other direction? Guess I am kinda slow. We sand with lathe on then turn it off and sand lenght wise. Works great for us. Alot of different ideas on sanding out there. Whatever suits your fancy.

When you sand with the lathe on you tend to "lay down" the wood fibers in that direction. The reverse allows you to sand under power in the opposite direction and hopefully cut the fibers cleaner. since I've been using reverse to sand my bowls I have not had one raise any grain when I put on the finish.

The only thing that concerns me is how are you going to keep a chuck from unwinding? The nova plates and chucks are a bit longer and have an extra screw to prevent this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom