Jet Mini Maintenance/Tool Rest question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

10scvol

I'm new to pen turning. I am getting some awful queaking from my lathe. The manual does not list any type of maintenance. Are their part that should be oiled/greased on a routine basis?

Also, my tools rest is getting a lot of nicks. How can I prevent this from getting worse? And how can I fix/cover the rest for smooth movement of my chisels?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chuck C

Tom, Mine gets squeeky sometimes because the tail stock tends to loosen on me. I think that happens on the mini and someone here has a modified holder that fits on the bottom to stop that. I just watch for it and retighten it.
I believe that the tool rest that comes with the mini is powdered metal and would be prone to get nicks. I have a home made tool rest with a SS rod welded to the top of a modified tool rest. This does not nick or dent. Try looking for something like that. I'm sure they sell them. Maybe there is a better way to repair the top. My old one did the same, I touched it up with a file.

JimGo

I wonder if you couldn't glue a UHMW plastic bar to the top (see the Slick Plates and Tape entry here http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/bargain3.htm ). That's the same plastic they use for other surfaces that are prone to scratches, like mitre gauge guides and saw fences. Any one ever tried it on a tool rest?

lkorn

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />I wonder if you couldn't glue a UHMW plastic bar to the top Any one ever tried it on a tool rest?

I suspect the the forces applied to the rest (from the rotating stock through the cutting tool) would trash the plastic in short order. But what do I know? It might work

JimGo

Good point Larry.

Chuck, thanks for reminding me. I get squeeks at two different times on my TurnCrafter Pro, which is very similar to the Jet. One is when the tail stock is a little loose. The other is when the handwheel on the headstock has come loose. A quick re-seat of the handle usually stops the squeeks. 10SCVol, another possible source of squeeks is a misaligned belt, but I think you'd have to whack the motor or headstock pretty hard to have that happen.

wayneis

Actually I have had a piece of plastic tape on mine for at least six months because my rest was getting gouged up. The tape that I am using is made for fences and such. I bought it at either Woodcraft or Rockler or Lee Vallee, I believe that they all carry it. Works very good. I also have the 4" stainless rod but it is too short for all of my pens and just have not got around to buying the next size up, I've been planning on getting a whole set but I keep finding other things.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom