Jet 1221 motor location

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

I have a Jet 1221 lathe and the motor is mounted under the ways so every time I turn something a lot of chips and dust accumulates around and on the screen on the end of the motor. Seems like a stupid design, but I'm new to this so maybe its not an issue. I vacuum the screen off frequently, but it still worries me that there is a lot of dust getting sucked into the motor and I've considered making some kind of a shroud or filter to protect the motor. Should I be concerned about this or am I worrying about something I don't need to worry about?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

Mine has a similar screen over the end of the motor. I've had it all apart a few times and it should not be a problem. Behind the screen is a fan blade. The motor is sealed against dust so the fan just moves air away from the motor end. At least that is how this amateur sees it. :)

leehljp

Member Liaison
I don't know if this can help in any way but I have two routers in a Router table. Although I have a DC system located in the fence, chips still fall down into the motor. I took a PET 2 liter cola bottle and cut some circles out with a hole just large enough to put over the collet.

I deliberately watched once to see how well it worked and saw dust fall down but it is deflected with the clear custom fit PET flange and the routers still get air for cooling.

Not sure if you could fit a PET shroud above it and still allow air to circulate, but it might be worth a try.

DrD

The set-up with the Delta midi lathes is exactly as you described - motor mounted under the ways. On the original, I did nothing and turned a ton of pens. The motor never showed any signs or issues; I did have a problem with the switch which is well above the "fray" and not related to accumulated dust. Just because I could, I removed the manufacturer's plate from the front of my newer one and zip tied it over the top of the motor; not sure it is providing any useful purpose except it keeps water from wet sanding and CA from CA finishing getting on the top of the motor. Call me silly, but I believe the makers knew where they were putting the motor and knew how the machine was going to be used, so if it was ok for them, I have to believe it'll be ok with me.

monophoto

Having the motor beneath the bedways seems to be a very common design for mini- and midi-lathes. And llike John, I don't worry about the dust - that will just blow or brush off. I'm more concerned about finishes applied on the lathe that then drip down onto the motor, and then dust and shavings fall onto the wet finish. These results in a clump of crud stuck on the motor housing. Yes, it's possible to chip it away, but that's not easy to do - you really need to remove the motor to get complete access to clean it thoroughly.

ebill

I'm more concerned about finishes applied on the lathe that then drip down onto the motor, and then dust and shavings fall onto the wet finish. These results in a clump of crud stuck on the motor housing. Yes, it's possible to chip it away, but that's not easy to do - you really need to remove the motor to get complete access to clean it thoroughly.

- my lo-tech solution: I always drape an old folded towel over the ways from head stock to tail stock. The towel looks like crap but the ways and motor are pristine.

- ebill

Woodchipper

I use my air compressor to blow out crud from the motor on my Rikon lathe and Rikon bandsaw. The lathe has a shield over the motor so dust is minimal.

Top Bottom