Jet 12/21 Maintenance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pen_man_ship

I noticed that my pen blanks were becoming out of round. Thinking my skill level to be deteriorating I forged on. Then I noticed my PSI "Turn Between Centers Mandrel System" bearing was worn out.
Inserting two live centers and bringing them together I could easily see the Jet was not in alignment. Having read about Rick Herrell's (salute!) replacement solution to the tailstock clamp could help the accuracy issue. Note: If you own a Jet 12/21you really should purchase it, what a difference in clamping. Did it solve my problem....somewhat. Sadly, there is no adjustment.
So I loosened the four bolts holding the headstock to the beds and shimmed one side with a .047mm plastic cut from a milk jug. Tightened the bolts....Success!
My wife is very pleased, I was mumbling about purchasing the Powermatic 20/14.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Good solution.You did a great job getting to the root of the problem quickly. Thanks for posting it.

I have long felt that the more parts involved in turning a pen (mandrel and even mandrel saver), 1. the more problems will crop up, and 2. the more difficult it is to find the solution. You got to it quickly!

RobS

100% agree with the Rick Herrell upgrade. I did upgrade for my JET 1221 VS
Congratulations on the quick fix.

Love the the PM 2014

Sly Dog

I bought the tail stock clamp from Rick for my JET and love it. I also bought that tbc mandrel system and finally threw it out for reasons you experienced.

Top Bottom