Jacob's chuck question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hanau

Have a jet 1014vs with a jacobs chuck question.

What Chuck are you using when I put it on the lathe it looks like am loosing a lot of travel. Have to screw the tail stock a 1" out before the chuck will lock into the tail stock.

Any recommendation on another chuck to use?
Or is that one correct?

Attachments

• 20200920_161716.jpg
    20200920_161716.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 20200920_161342.jpg
    20200920_161342.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 144
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

You have the correct chuck, probably ..... but ..... you should use a shorter arbor to couple the chuck to the tail-stock.

MT2 arbors are available in different lengths ..... same taper ..... MT2 ..... but different lengths.

Of course, you also have to match the Jacobs chuck taper (to your chuck) at the other end of the arbor .... might be J6, J33, or ??

Last edited:

magpens

As Sam just said, some arbors have a flat tang on the MT2 end of the arbor. . It is better to get an arbor without the flat tang ... just a blunt end.

The flat tang takes up unnecessary room and necessitates the extra extension of the tail stock in order to lock your J. chuck arbor into the T.S.

magpens

I should also mention that .....

Some chucks already have an integral arbor when you buy them. . You usually cannot change such an arbor.

Better to buy a J. chuck without the integral arbor, and then buy a suitable arbor (with blunt end) to suit your lathe and chuck.

tomas

Well, I prefer a keyless chuck for drilling. I ditto what all the other's have said. Also, if that .75" is really a problem but money is tight, I might be tempted to cut it off the base end of the drill bit.

Tomas

SteveG

If you do cut off the tail end of the MT, make sure you leave it long enough that or will self eject from the quill when the quill is fully retracted.

One time I cut off the unwanted end of the MT2 arbor, but left it a small amount too short for the auto-eject to work...so I made it longer! I drilled/tapped the now shortened arbor and added a machine screw to get the needed length back. :rolleyes:

Lesson learned: measure twice, cut once. Works for metal as well as wood projects!

Top Bottom