Issue with “mandrel saver”

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

i prefer the mandrel saver from PSI for turning, but there's a problem. Hopefully, someone will have a solution. The saver that is on the tail stock has an opening completely through in order to accept the mandrel. The hole's diameter is larger than the knock out bar used to remove it. As a result, the knock out bar gets stuck in the mandrel saver. I'm using a mini Jet lathe.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Muddydogs

From what I learned due to a short M2 taper that won't eject from my tail stock are 3 options.
First make a bigger knock out bar that won't fit inside the M2 taper if a bigger bar will fit inside the tailstock hole.
Next is to cut a wood ring that sets between the live center and tail stock riding on the quill effectively making an auto eject ring. When the quill is turned out the ring contacts the tail stock and live center pushing the center out.
Lastly if you have space between the center and quill a piece of flat board or metal can be put in this space and used to pry the center free. This option could mar the quill if your not careful.

Mike

I had a similar issue with my Jet 1014. The knockout bar that came with it has a plastic head and is too light to knock the MT2 out of the headstock easily and got stuck in something once.

I made the one in the pic from a piece of 2 inch round bar and a piece 3/8" rod. I drilled and tapped a hole in the 2 inch and cut threads on the rod. I used blue Loctite so it would not come out. It works great.

See pic.

Mike

Attachments

• 20230907_100447.jpg
    20230907_100447.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 71

egnald

I too made a custom knockout bar for mine. I made it using a large and extra long screwdriver by just cutting the tip off. I didn't need to add any additional weight to mine, the inertia of the handle has always been enough to eject the center.

Before that, in a pinch, I just slipped an adjustable wrench over the quill and then cranked it back until the wrench popped the center loose. I've heard of people making a similar device by cutting a slot in a 3/4 inch board that fits down around the quill between the tailstock and the center to do the same thing.

Dave

Drewby108

I've used a piece of offcut oak that I turned to a diameter just small enough to fit through the quill and used it as a block to knock the bar against.

RunnerVince

I have the same issue, even though my lathe auto-ejects most accessories as I retract the quill. On my mandrel saver, retracting the quill just separates the accessory from the MT shaft. It's the only one of my tailstock accessories that does that.

I made a new one with some round stock I had from another project, but it was still slightly too small, so I took a hammer to it for a few minutes and mushroomed the end out a tiny bit. This would have been easier with a torch, but I don't have one, so it just took a few minutes longer.

Bope

I have been wanting to ask the same question. I have an old Delta Homelite lathe and have to remove the screw from the tailstock. From there I can stick a bolt down the center that will reach the back side of the mandrel saver and knock it out. I tried putting a block of wood between the back side of the mandrel saver head and the tail stock. That worked about 2 times then it started to jut pull the mandrel saver off the MT.

Mike

I had a similar issue with my Jet 1014. The knockout bar that came with it has a plastic head and is too light to knock the MT2 out of the headstock easily and got stuck in something once.

I made the one in the pic from a piece of 2 inch round bar and a piece 3/8" rod. I drilled and tapped a hole in the 2 inch and cut threads on the rod. I used blue Loctite so it would not come out. It works great.

See pic.

Mike
The round bar I used is 1.5", not 2. It is heavy enough to knock out whatever is in HS or TS without banging hard. The little rod with the plastic knob was too light. And most of the accessories I have auto eject from the TS.

Mike

Top Bottom