ISP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Con: Not available in my area. Three years ago, they said it would be fully operational by June. I guess I should have asked them which year.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
At my last house, I had a full T1 from Qwest, and Verizon provided the loop. That went down constantly due to their incompetence. They also provided voice service. Absolute worst landline phone service I've ever had. I know businesses which have moved to get out of Verizon territory.

If I had a choice between Verizon DSL and a wet noodle, I'd take the latter.

If I had the choice between cable and a good DSL provider, I'd take the latter.

I have WOW cable for internet, regular cable, and HDTV. They stink. I'm in the process of getting Speakeasy naked DSL (i.e. no voice line)

ldimick

I have Roadrunner Cable and I tell my neighbors to get DSL. The reason? I want it all to myself! I get 4.5 MB speed on downloads. That's 3 T1s. Goes down next to never.

TomServo

I've had excellent service from comcast and road runner on cable - right now i have a semi-local company called Mid Continent communications.. unbelievable service! I'm paying for the midrange ($40/mo) service and i've seen speeds past 8mbit. They sell you the cable modem - for an extremely reasonable $40 - and warranty it for 2 years. I've been burned hard on DSL in the past. Had swbell (before it was SBC) and it was good for ~ 1 year, then it stank and I got cable. I had a local company in virginia do my dsl for a while, and they still think I owe them money.. I'd only get DSL if I absolutely had to.. From my experience with the connectivity providers at work (I do tech support for a "major" fast food chain)... the cable companies are much much more responsive on service, and we're talking about huge contracts with service level agreements. Funny how a lot of people will refuse to buy online... when every major retailer or McBurger sends all the credit card/debit sales over the net.

ashaw

Have Verizon DSL would not go back. Look at comcast Digital but cost of service way to high for the performance you get. Remember is not how fast your side is but also how fast the target site is.
Never go back to dialup.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I can't get DSL where I live.. I use cable and love it..
HOWEVER, find out if Verizon is offering FIOS in your area.. that beats them both. The price is about the same and the download speeds are better... not only that if you already are a Verizon customer you get a discount... they are also going to be offering TV over FIOS real soon... that is going to kick the Cable companies where it hurts...
My buddy has it in NY and another in the DC area... it rocks..

Tangboy5000

ldimick, LOL, I do the same thing. A lot of people don't realize this about cable internet access, you share the bandwidth on a node with your neighbors. So move to an isolated area, or a retirement community, so you can get 5 MB down.

dubdrvrkev

The good thing is you can share it with quite a few people and its still faster than DSL. I lived in an apartment while building my house and had only dial up after haveing cable for some time. My internet activity was reduced to only getting on line when I needed to, with an occasional slooow frolic.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
You lucky #^#$, All I can get is dialup. If I lived 1/4 mile down the street I could get cable through RR. And SBC says they have no plans to up grade my area for DLS.

clewless

Consider Direcway or another satellite provider. Here on the Eastern shore of MD, I could only get very slow dialup, analog cable (also slow).

Direcway gives high speed, my only trouble was with an incompetent installer....finally got it right with a re-install.

Joe

rfreeouf

I have had both Cable and DSL. Both will provide faster speed than dial-up. Out of the two I prefer Cable just because it has better speed than DSL.

Some Cons of DSL

You have to live within 2.5 miles a telephone switching staion. The further out from that switch the Bandwidth Drops off.

PPOE: With PPOE you have to login and authenticate before making a connection (Most Broadband Routers have a feature that will do this automatically) with most DSL providers.

Since switching to Cable in 2002 I will not go back to DSL. The Bandwidth is better, in some cases I have had download speeds as high as 7mb. Time Warner Cable offers a package which includes you Phone \ Cable \ and Internet Services in one package. They are also offer a discount if you are a Nextel user. I have been on this service for over a year and love it.

One suggestion If you run broadband. I recommend you get either a Firewal Router or Run Firewall software. You have a current Virus Scan Program with it scheduled to update the definition files. And lastely a good Spyware Program. I use CA (Coputer Associates} Software Suite that includes all 3 Plues a Email Spam Program. We use CA Product at work on our network and it has a good track record.

Mikey

I have had both DSL and Cable. The cable was actually better at first, but as others have said, the more people, the slower. There were times that I would come home from work and would sit there waiting for pages to load. No matter what site I went to, it was slow. I was supposedly at 3megs down for $45 a month. I went with SBC DSL last year. They say up to 1.5 megs down, with a guaranteed 384k down (same as cable) for only $15 a month. The speed is always the same, and the only thing I notice slower with DSL over cable is downloading huge files. Cable would top out at somewhere around 600k, while the DSL only gets me about 180k max from any given site. Even then, the extra speed isn't worth the $30 a month that I am saving.

IMO, unless you want to share movies illegally, pick which one is cheaper.

its_virgil

I just built a new home, moved in 1 yr ago, and SBC installed DSL. Then 7 weeks later it was not working only to find out that SBC cut it off because I lived too far from some kind of station. Strange thing is, the neighbors on both sides of me are close enough to get DSL, and the two neighbors across the street are also close enough. But not me! The local wiereless co says our street is in a low spot and they can't guarantee me a signal from their transmitter that is 1 mile away...I give up...and dial up sucks big time right along with SBC.
Do a good turn daily!

Don

woodwish

Seems like we had this same discussion a few months back? The cheapest method for us is to use the wireless connection on my laptop. I can choose between 3 wireless routers from our bedroom, that are not mine! Now if I could just find a way to get cable TV the same way [;)]

Before anyone starts flaming- Yes, I can get into at least three other wireless routers in ADDITION to my own. I would be willing to bet with a good wireless receiver in a laptop you do the same almost anywhere in a residential neighborhood. We do have large yards (1 acre+) but wireless routers transmit several hundred feet without much trouble now. And for what it's worth we have cable now that replaced the lousy DSL service that we tried before.

rfreeouf

The reason you can get a single in most residential neighborhoods is because people who purchase and install wireles routers do not set them up correctly.

Wireless Technology is great but there are some security concerns to consider. If a person can connect to your network they also can hit the wireless laptop's Nic if in range.

I recommend the following setup on the wireless Router.

1.) Use WPA2 or WEP for Encypting the traffic on you router. This requires all wireless devices have a pass key to connect.

2.) Enable MAC Address Filtering. All NIC'S (Netowrk Interface Cards) Have a hard code MAC (Machine Address Code) that is unique. No two MAC's are indentical. When MAC Filtering is enabled you check only the MAC Adreeses that you know are yours. If your MAC is NOT in the list then it can't connect to the Wireless Router or Acces Point.

3.) Make sure you have a Firewall running on all Clinet coputers. If some one can recive the signal on the Router they can also hit the sgnal on the clinet Network Card.

These few types although aren't totally fool proof can prevent a lot of unwanted traffic or possible intruders on you network.

Rifleman1776

When I moved to my current house four years ago, CenturyTel DSL was all that was available. Their tech support guy was here so often he nearly had to change his voter registration. [;)] Then Cox cable came along, I switched and would never go back to DSL. Cable is faster and more stable.

Termite1964

I have had DSL for the last several months. I like it very much. I have had no problems with it. I'm a little nerveous after reading this because I am moving accross town at the end of the month. I hope this doesn't cause problems with my service.

Brent

Thanks guys, Iam still thinking it over. My local dial up has given good service the past some odd years but they are charging $23.99. It would be $21.99 but I am old fashion and make them send me abill every month, so they charge me an extra 2 bucks for a paper invoice and that kind'a gets me the wrong way. Cable is not a opion that I have, there is some other local dial up availible but I only herd bad things about their reliabilty. One of the things that is holding me back on verizon is the one year sign up to receive their 14.95 price, which after you add on their misc. charges brings it up to 22 or 23 bucks. Which is still cheaper than what I paying know. Just don't know if I ready for a year commitment. Satalite would be nice but way way past my buget.

PenWorks

It would fry my *ss, knowing I was paying 2.00 more a month for a paper bill [xx(]
Living in the boonies, I was paying 60.00 a month for satilite, Qwest finally came in with the line a couple of months ago, so I get DSL for 35.00, service and down time has been real good so far.

Randy_

Brent: You should not be asking a guy in Texas(me) about Internet service in Illinois, if you get my drift. I moved up to Verizon DSL a while ago from dial-up and have had perfect service...not even a hiccup; but you have already seen other posts that say it sucks. Internet access is very much a local issue and what works for me may not be good for you. When it rains hard around here the cable service takes a vacation. You need to be checking with your neighbors and folks in your general area to see what is working locally. As a general rule DSL will be slower than cable; but if you share a line with a large numbers of users who all get on at the same time things will slow down drastically. As was mentioned before, even the slowest DSL will probably be more than fast enough for you unless you are downloading movies, scads of music files or are in the photography business.[

When my year is up, I may very well go back to a $10 dial-up service and maybe try one of the accelerators. All I do is send emails and hang out at a couple of message boards and quite frankly, don't get much benefit from the extra speed. Every so often I have to wait on a big picture file or a PDF to download; but I just refer to that as "Miller time" and go play with the dog for a few minutes...and no, my dog's name is not Miller!![:D]

Take a look at exactly how you use the Internet before moving up....you may not need too??

Brent

Randy, Your right about asking people in my area and i have. most of them have dial up and a few have verizon . It seems that they are all pretty happy with what they have. I was too, until mine added $2 bucks for paper invoice. I like you, am not looking for speed. Just a good service at a price that I can afford.

Randy_

I don't know if you have it in your area; but I used NetZero for over a year and had good luck with it. Once in a while...two or 3 times a month I might get get booted off in the middle of a session; but I could always log back in right away. That is a small price to pay for $10 per month service!! But you will not get a paper bill..credit/debit card required or I think they may be able to add it to your phone bill.(not sure about that) Just make sure you can get a local access number!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom