ISO - Box for Pen and Pencil Set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drewboy22

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I have modified the box you linked to by simply making a new insert suitable for two pens, side-by-side. There is plenty of room and view-ability with that box design. The simplest insert is to cut two V-grooves in a small slab of wood, then cover with fabric. A layer of thin poly-fill gives a plush look and feel.

Drewboy22

I have modified the box you linked to by simply making a new insert suitable for two pens, side-by-side. There is plenty of room and view-ability with that box design. The simplest insert is to cut two V-grooves in a small slab of wood, then cover with fabric. A layer of thin poly-fill gives a plush look and feel.

That is a good idea. I may have to see if I can get to a router and table saw, and I should be able to get to my brothers by early November.

Anyone have any other Ideas?

SteveG

That is a good idea. I may have to see if I can get to a router and table saw, and I should be able to get to my brothers by early November.

Anyone have any other Ideas?

All you need is the table saw. The V-groove is made by putting the saw blade over at about 45* and height set to not cut all the way through the wood. Make two passes to cut the two sides of the 'V'. A little refinement on that is to widen out the 'V', leaving a flat bottom, looks like: \_/
That profile is easier to upholster, and looks good as a cradle for the pens. Be careful if not familiar withthe table saw. The idea is to have as many fingers later in the day, as you had early in the day!! :eek::eek:

Last edited:

corgicoupe

Use basswood, which is reasonably soft and straight grained. Then buy a suitable gouge from your local woodworking store [Woodcraft or Rockler, or order from Highland Woodworking], and carve the grooves. No electricity required, and it's less dangerous than a table saw.

Last edited:
Top Bottom