Is it possible ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

I'm turning a bottle stopper, and I would like to keep the top flat. My question is, can I turn beads on the top ? I think it would look great but I've never turned on end grain. It's a fairly dense wood. Tulipwood. Thanks .......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

I do have a beading tool as well as ewt detailer. I didn't want to mess up as I wasn't sure this could be done. Thank you for answering my question !!!

howsitwork

Three pointed tool would work well at this and depending on how you orientate it could cut the beads easily. High speed and slow tool application. Remember the centre of the stopper is going a lot slower than the rim

greenacres2

I often practice on pieces i'm working on. Like if i want to try a new or different finish on a pen blank, i'll round it and go through the new finishing steps well before i've turned to the final diameter. Then that new process can be turned away, often with enough material to try it again. In the case of your bottle stopper, maybe cut the blank 1/2" to 1" longer than your desired length, and work on the top beads a few times--a little wasted material, but better than losing the whole blank if it doesn't work well on the first try.
earl

Bullwinkle, I read your post a couple of days back and saw you had lots of answers, so didn't reply, but on reading it again tonight thought I might give you some insight on how I do bottle stoppers... I don't do a lot on the tops, but have on occasion.

I turn mottle stoppers on a collet chuck with a 3/8" bold that I cut the head off and use it as or like a screw chuck.... I do use the tailstock until I get ready to do the top of the stopper. I have a couple of 1/2 skews plus a homemade carbide detail tool that I use to add any grove or beads on the top of the stopper.

Top Bottom