Ironwood Trees

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

reed43

For some of the penturners who have never been in the desert southwest, or have never seen a Ironwood here are some pictures of three Ironwood trees. All these trees are on property where I worked for over 35 years. The trees look almost the same today as they did on my first day of work.

200672223812_HPIM0049.jpg

200672223840_HPIM0050.jpg

200672223854_HPIM0051.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

I was told that desert ironwood don't like trimming. Most die after being trimmed...even just cutting a major branch. The middle pic looks dead [:D, maybe you should offer to remove and clean it up Reed. [:D]

thetalbott4

How is it possible that you have not, in the middle of the night, gone out and started harvesting those burls? I would shake and sweat like a dry alcoholic in a distillery! I wouldnt last 35 days, let alone 35 years. I wonder if there is a 12 step program for burl addicted folks like myself? Not that I have a problem...

reed43

For the last ten years the middle picture has just enough green leaves to call it alive.[:(]

angboy

Originally posted by thetalbott4
<br />How is it possible that you have not, in the middle of the night, gone out and started harvesting those burls? I would shake and sweat like a dry alcoholic in a distillery! I wouldnt last 35 days, let alone 35 years. I wonder if there is a 12 step program for burl addicted folks like myself? Not that I have a problem...

Uh-oh Scott, my prediction for you is not a good recovery- you aren't even able to accept and admit that you have a problem. Doesn't bode well for being able to stay away from the object of your addiction! But you could try and deal with it by first sending me one each of every type of burl pen blank you have. That way I'll know exactly what we're dealing with here, and you'll be starting to let go of your addiction (literally) and maybe, just maybe, some insight will start to creep in! [}:)][}:)]

bonefish

Dario:

You might be on to something. The middle tree appears to have had at least two limbs cut off in years past, and there are a lot of dead limbs on the ground around it.

Reed said that it has only enough green leaves on it to be considered live.

Whatever the reason, it is not as healthy as the others.

Bonefish

Dario

Originally posted by huntersilver
<br />Not the most beauitful trees I have seen, but they make great pen blanks!

I've learned that the uglier trees that looks sick and weather beaten produce the most interesting wood grains, patterns and blanks.

mdburn_em

I very much apprciate seeing those trees. I live in an area where we have nothing besides cottonwoods and willows that grow naturally. It was especially interesting to see the burls on the tree. I've never seen a burl (live) so pictures are the next best thing.
Thanks for sharing,

reed43

Somebody wanted to see these pictures and I did not know how to send them so I retrieved them here.

keithz

These pics prove that beauty is not skin deep, but it is what is below the surface that counts. As gnarly as those trees look, they should have spectacular grain.

Thanks for showing us the photos, Reed.

keith

wudnhed

I think it's OK to pick it up off the ground if it has broken from the tree. We picked up some the other day and other people burn it in their fires out in the desert.[:(]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom