Ironwood mortar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Lynch

Dale Lynch

Hey fellas,A coworker asked me if I could make him a mortar and pestle a couple days ago.Here's what I came up with,Ironwood for the mortar.I only had 2x4 material to work with so I cut 3 pieces and glued them together.Decided it wasenit going to be tall enough I cut another chunk and bookmatched it,then glued it to the block.I used Cocoblolo for the pestle It was the only thing I had left that was big enough to make it from one piece.Sanded the outside of the mortar to 320, inside to 180.burnished then a coat of dewaxed shellac.The pestle was done the same way leaving the crushin and grinding ends rougher.My only other option was to use walnut,but I didn't think it would be hard enough to do the job.

Attachments

• DSCF4712.jpg
    DSCF4712.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCF4713.jpg
    DSCF4713.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 154
  • DSCF4714.jpg
    DSCF4714.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 143
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Lynch

Ended up making another pestle for it out of the ironwood .Same shape as the cocobolo one, just slimmer on the top and bottom.Forgot to take a pic before I delivered it to him.He was really happy, surprised I did it right away.Hopefully he's not to upset but I'll have to ask him for another 5 bucks tomorrow 25 barly covers the cost of wood.It is my fault though because I was thinking of walnut when I said that would be enough,so maybe not.

Top Bottom