Iron? Dust

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pian

When turning pens it happens every now and then when tapering the ends that my tool shaves a little bit of the bushings. Whenever this happens it creates that super fine black dust that gets between the tubing and the blank creating this dirty/stained black area that looks bad. Any tips or advice on how to avoid this?

Attachments

• 20210124_085349.jpg
    20210124_085349.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 206
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

One sure way to avoid that is ...... learn to do your pen turning without using bushings.

That method is called Turning Between Centers .... or TBC .... and you can find details by searching here on IAP.
Basically, it requires a dead center for your headstock, a live center for your tailstock, and a pair of digital calipers .... no bushings ever again !!

leehljp

Member Liaison
TBC or Turning Between Centers are the way to avoid it. This is a method of turning the blank with bushings (or without if you are very gifted) to close to size, then removing the bushings and then turning to the final size. It also requires you to size the blank with calipers, not bushings. Bushings will wear down over time causing the fit to be off. So the best way is to always use calipers to size. Calipers can be purchased at HF on sale for about $10. or $20+ not on sale. DON'T get the plastic calipers, get the metal ones.

Use bushings to get to near size, then take the bushings off and finish turning to size and apply a finish. If YOU DON'T, you will always have the potential for getting sanding dust on the blanks. Some guys use pencil type of erasers to remove it, some use denatured alcohol. But for most people it does not clean it up enough. The best way is to prevent it. TBC followed by Mandrel Savers and using calipers are the ways to prevent it.

BTW, using TBC is MUCH faster and simpler to do than to write it out, as is my explanation. Changing from bushings to no bushings is faster to do than to write it out. Seems complicated to some but it is so simple that it defies logic.

Or a Mandrel Saver with conical bushings. The conical bushings are smaller than the turned blank and allow you to turn down to size (measured with calipers) and your tool does not touch the blank.

Bushings on with TBC:

The Original TBC on IAP - with a home made Dead/Drive Center, and WITHOUT the bushings for final turning and or sanding:
Sanding dust avoided in the above situation.

Look at a Mandrel setup as you are using, and then look at the simplicity of TBC above:

Last edited:

jttheclockman

It is hard to tell but that looks too concentric to be dust. That maybe a case of the blank being turned so thin on the ends that the tube shows through. You usually do not get bushing dust contaminating acrylic blanks like that. I would reverse paint the blank when you drill. That means pick a color close to the blank and paint the inside of the blank. Let it completly dry before inserting tube. Some people tint the glue they are using as well as paint the tube to hide the tube from showing. That looks like one of theose transparent blanks that you can see through if turned thin and the ends are surely thin.

cynot

You can avoid this by making sure you have enough CA glue to fill the gap between the tube and the blank before squaring and turning. Also try not cutting to the size of the bushing with the cutting tool and finish the pen to final size with sandpaper.

leehljp

Member Liaison
AFTER looking closer as John wrote above, it is that you probably turned it quite thin but I think you have sanding dust inside between the blank and tube. This can be avoided by sealing as Cynot mentioned above, which should always be done, and by TBC in which precludes sanding dust to be made.

Pian

I currently turn using a mandrel saver, it's alot easier than the basic mandrel system I used back in school. My first acrylic piece I learned the lesson of painting the inside of the blank, these were painted orange. TBC probably just seems more complicated than it really is, ill give it a try.

Thanks for the idea of getting the blanks close to size then removing the bushings, that might actually work really well preventing the dust.

jttheclockman

Getting sanding dust in that perfect of a circle to me is impossible. Even if there were not enough glue in there to block the dust it would not be a perfect circle. Something else is going on. I am sorry but do not believe it is dust from the bushings. Pressing in the parts now expands the tube somewhat thus making it even closer to the blank which is very thin already. But you got good advice on the turning between centers. Good luck as you continue on.

cynot

I made these conical bushings to use when I finish sand or apply CA to wood blanks. This saves my pen bushings from wear and CA buildup.

Attachments

• 20210124_151500.jpg
    20210124_151500.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 155
Top Bottom