Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks Hank, Jack, Jeff and Don. Your words inspire me to press on. Mudder--Miss Bossy Boots says the gallery is waiting for this one. Sorry. Jack--I can't wait to see what your students have done!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The view from the Acropolis includes the Aegean Sea and thus is born the second in the Collection. <b>Aegeas</b> is Greek wild olive wood, inlaid with crushed turquoise and malachite. Kit finish is black titanium.

200545212449_Aegeas.jpg
<br />
Comments and critiques are welcome. Thank you for looking.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks for the comments. This second pen was a bit more challenging than the first as I tried for a slightly different balance. I also removed the second layer of the capital so as not to distract from the inlay. I really appreciate your taking the time to give feedback.

wicook

WOW, Lou...you're definitely on a roll!! I've come to the conclusion that you like olivewood (whatever its origin) as much as I do...maybe even more so. [;)] Both pens are beautiful works of art.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Tom Mc--You'd better believe it's a great affliction! I've got a couple more pieces of this GWOW before I go back to some BOW and JOW.
Bruce and Greg--Thank you for the compliments. It's great to have one's work appreciated!
Michael--Sensei, huh? Does that mean you get the coffee? :)

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
These are the final two in The Acropolis Collection. The first is <b>Repose of a Hero</b>, a Grecian Urn inspired piece featuring polished brass (polyurethane coated to inhibit tarnish and leaching) and crushed turquoise/malachite. (with credit, respect and admiration to John Keats [1795-1821]) There is no clip.

200546231550_GrecianUrn.jpg
<br />

The second is <b>The Temple of Athena</b> featuring a thinner column, more in keeping with Ionic proportions than <b>The Parthenon</b> which was more Doric in proportion.

200546232014_Athena.jpg
<br />

The next picture is two of the pens in writing position. To my hand, the balance and fit are quite comfortable.

200546234022_UrnandAegeasWriting.jpg
<br />
The final picture is the collection.

200546232131_AcropolisCollection.jpg
<br />
As always, comments critiques and suggestions are welcomed. Thank you all for looking and for your patience while this played out!

PenWorks

Great additions to the collection.
Suiteable for framing.

I really like the one (forgive me for not going back to look for it's name) without the clip. It looks great when the cap is posted!

Very nice lines to the entire collection, wonderfull workmanship. [;)]

WoodChucker

Lou, looks like your on a roll. They all look great and the TLC really shows in your work. Thanks for sharing!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks guys. These really were a labor of love. Lots of inspiration from our members, the wood, Bill B's kit, Ancient Greece, and so on.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Lou, I am simply in awe of this collection. Hell, you could sell pictures of these pens, much less the pens themselves. I have a sneaking suspicion that these pens will remain with you rather that be offered to the unwashed public.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks, William. It's unfortunate, but these were spoken for before work started. They will be whisked away fairly soon, in fact. That's probably why I've taken so many pictures. [:D] I'd consider making a set for myself, but I'm not worth it!

Tom--thanks for that comment. The urn was a long time in development. I probably have a half-dozen drawings that I rejected for one reason or another. There were even a couple of changes as I turned the blank and saw the grain develop. Of course, Ed Davidson had to creep into my mind and remind me to keep the beads soft and the angles sharp! [:p] That's what I mean when I talk about the inspiration of this group. I feel like I take away so much more than I contribute. [8D]

BTW, for those of you who haven't seen what wonderful things happen to olive wood as you turn it, here's the original blanks. From top to bottom they became The Parthenon, Aegeas, Repose of a Hero and Temple of Athena.

20054733044_MiK%20GOW.jpg
<br />

JimGo

Lou, those are AMAZING! I think the Temple of Athena is my favorite. That's the black Ti, right? Really stunning! Sorry to hear they'll be leaving soon...had hoped to see them in person! Oh well...hopefully they are off to a good home!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Jim G and Michael W--they'll be on display tomorrow at Woodcraft from 6-8 pm, along with Under African Skies (the elephant ivory pen). Sorry for the short notice, but it's the best I can do.

MDWine

I'm sorry I missed them Lou. At least I got to see AND HOLD the first one. You just blow me away... really!

...and coffee is ON ME... for what you have taught me, it's the least I can do!!
Sensei definitely fits... &lt;bowing in honor&gt; Let's try to get together soon, and drag Jim along!!!

That's really beautiful work.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks, Shane. I appreciate your comment!

Jim and Michael--I coulda used some backup tonight. Recruited two new pen turners and cleaned up my tools a bit. Also took an order. Not too bad an evening, but it would have been more fun with some company.

JimGo

Lou,
I got stranded at home today with the satellite TV installer! They told me that he'd be here in the AM; didn't show up 'till 1:30. Then it took him about 2.5 hours to get everything set up. My office was LIVID. I'm actually STILL working, just trying to catch up!...just taking a break for a few minutes. I was, however, VERY disappointed when I realized that it was 7:00; I REALLY wanted to get down there and see those pens. Again, hopefully they went to a good home (or homes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom