Introducing Pot. Arse. P.-Turning - or, several dozen ways to not turn a pen...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

civilwartalk

At the Potomac Arsenal Penturning garage, we have a saying. I don't remember what it is right now, but when I remember, I'll be sure to tell you about it...

This whole journey started like two weeks ago when I said "Honey, I know we are broke, the garage is already full of too much stuff, I just brought home a heavy, rusty, dirty Craftsman Lathe that my father owned, and I want to restore to working order and you know that's going to be a big mess. Why don't we spend another $200 on a woodworking lathe, and then I'll have a reason to spend even more money we don't have!"

Needless to say, I've been sleeping on the couch for the last two weeks, but now I can watch YouTube all night long if I want. Well, at least until I get yelled at to shut the light off... anyway. I waited my mandatory week for Rockler's shipping to do it's magic, and the big heavy box arrived with my new lathe. What do you mean it doesn't have any of the tooling I need? Geeze, like I have all this time to do research....

So, lucky me I found this site, and cancelled all my silly beginner orders, and got the RIGHT STUFF ordered, and it came in, and here we are, now you are caught up. I hate shows that go on and on with their recap, they just go on and on.......

GET ON WITH IT ALREADY!!

OK, ok, hold on a second!

I've got to get my camera ready. I'm a visual story teller... (cough)

IMG_0783.JPG

So, I went in the woods one day, and cut down some Ash trees... These came from some private property in Gettysburg, actually from my Mom's property, so yes I had permission!

IMG_0786.JPG
My mom thinks the trees died from the common Ash Tree disease, but some of this tree is still live. That's not to say that some of those trees I cut weren't dead, we were able to push one 30 foot tree over by hand it was soo rotten.

I did spend a few days trying to cut blanks from one of the Ash trees (on the left), and I'll need to do more cutting some do get that job finished.

IMG_0785.JPG
When the Saturday after Black Friday came, I got to visit a local Hardwood Lumber shop who had a sale, and he had this log and another for sale for a buck each, which I think is Purpleheart (photo on the right), I purchased both of them.

I'll need to cut this one soon before it cracks. The first one, about the same size, made about 30 full pen blanks, and another 5 half blanks (because of the holes).

I have them stacked up, zip tied, and weighed down to dry and hopefully they won't twist or crack. I use glue to seal the end grain on my blanks.... Or at least that's what I'm trying...

But I'm not playing with logs today, I want to practice turning a pen today! So I'm going to get started by... opening my Pinewood Derby toolbox, and finding a nice pine block with some cooked axle slots...

IMG_0787.JPG
and...
IMG_0788.JPG

then...

IMG_0789.JPG
and finally...
IMG_0790.JPG

Not exactly rocket science like Pro Level Pinewood Derby can be, more like slice and dice right?

Well, now it's time to Press My Luck!

IMG_0791.JPG

Look! I even pulled out my 1,2,3 Blocks for this operation! That means this was a precise operation!

and.... that went well...

IMG_0797.JPG
sort of ...
IMG_0798.JPG

Did you know that you could buy substitute pen parts a Lowes and Home Depot?

IMG_0799.JPG

I'm still waiting for the Pen Kits I ordered to show up, and I don't want to practice turning with those anyway. So, I bought these copper pipe pieces, one 3/8" and another in 1/4", just to simulate pen parts, so we will see if I can make this work as test pieces!

IMG_0800.JPG

This looks about right... so I cut that thing with my trusty old pipe cutter. This should work well....

IMG_0801.JPG
and once that was done... a test fit!

IMG_0802.JPG
Oh no... What did I do....

IMG_0803.JPG
Nevermind!
The un-necessary 1/4" pipe was just for sizing, the 3/8" pipe is where it's at!

Next Step...

This is going to hurt you more than me...

IMG_0804.JPG

Now, Let's Sand & Glue!

IMG_0805.JPG

So, I take the tube, and do the scratchy scratchy, up and down, left and right, then I add a little CA glue to the inside of the blank, and then I add more glue to the tube. I go to press the tube into the hole in the blank... I said I go to press the tube into the blank.... .... .... I SAID I PRESS THE TUBE INTO THE.....

I regret to inform everyone, that it's at this point that a terrible accident has happened. It was all going so well until it wasn't I need to remind everyone of something I probably failed to mention earlier, I have done this twice already, so this is supposed to be the CLEAN take of this process... so anyway... this is the state of things...

IMG_0807.JPG

WTF...

I WILL NOT BE DEFEATED LIKE THIS!

IMG_0808.JPG

That takes care of the tube....

IMG_0809.JPG

I didn't like the long blank anyway...

IMG_0810.JPG

Parting is such sweet sorrow....

IMG_0811.JPG

Look, how cute! It's like they are made for each other!

IMG_0812.JPG

Just gotta clean this up, I know what to do!

IMG_0813.JPG

Spin some sandpaper on this....

IMG_0814.JPG

Look all shiny...

IMG_0815.JPG

A test fit, still kinda tight, stupid Home Depot pipe is bigger than Lowes pipe, can you believe this?

IMG_0818.JPG

A little glue & persuasion, and it's in!

IMG_0823.JPG

Almost ready to turn!

IMG_0825.JPG
IMG_0827.JPG

Make this tool sharp!

IMG_0829.JPG

Then make sure it's clean, dry, and lubricated!

So at this point, I turned a test pen blank... and about 5 minutes later, I took this off the lathe...

IMG_0832.JPG

On this third test in three days, I finally met my goal, 0.420" on a pipe that should be 0.375"

IMG_0833.JPG

But not without some issues...

IMG_0836.JPG

But, that's okay, I was really pushing how close I could get to the copper tube, and now this blank will join the other two that are already on my shelf...

IMG_0837.JPG

From Right to Left, Test Number 1, Test Number 2, Dale's 1997 Daytona 500 Racecar
So, what's the moral of this story? Take up pottery?

No, that can't be right. When life gives you lemons, make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, cause nobody makes a sandwich with a lemon!

Tune in next week when my glue comes in, and we all learn how many times you can finish a wooden pen blank; and then refinish it, before you end up with just a copper pipe again.....

Attachments

• IMG_0820.JPG
    IMG_0820.JPG
    250.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0821.JPG
    IMG_0821.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 91
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Glad to see that you are enjoying the learning process ! Keep at it . We can sometimes offer shortcuts that avoid problems when given a clear question , which I`m positive you would do .

civilwartalk

It's been a lot of fun!

Most of my problems are just me not paying attention, too busy trying to take a photo instead of trying to work. I did put the camera down when safety was an issue, so at least there is that.

Honestly, just being on this site and reading day after day I've picked up quite a lot, but I don't have everything I need to do what I want, so I do what I can with what I have.

I know it probably looks like hillbilly workshop, but hey, that's just how it worked out last night.

MPVic

"Hillbilly workshop"??????? You would be amazed at what some of us have for a workshop!!!! (photos anyone????? ;)) No matter, there are many beautiful pieces produced by our members in all manner of work spaces. Just don't stop trying ...... and enjoy your craft.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Great story Mike. But you're spinning your wheels right now. I hope you ordered some two part epoxy, or medium, or thick CA glue. They give you more time to slide the tubes in. I feel you should ditch the copper tubes and order some pen kits that come with brass tubes that are already cut to length, and have parts you just press in the finished tubes. Welcome to the abyss.

Love that #3 die cast.

studioseven

Mike,
If pen turning doesn't work out for you there could be a future in comedy for you. Enjoyed how you shared your story. One thing though, I never add glue to the inside of my blanks. I apply it to the outside of my brass tube, insert it into the blank and then rotate it a few times to spread the glue. I have read somewhere that if you put three pen turners in a room that they will come out with 17 ways to do something. Just another way of saying that someone else probably puts glue into the blank too. Good luck.

Seven

jttheclockman

Well these are all good learning steps. I hope you do not try to make pens from copper pipe unless they are kitless. The pipe will not allow the kit components to be pressed in. Use the tubes that come with the kits. Good luck. Looks like you are having fun.

civilwartalk

Well these are all good learning steps. I hope you do not try to make pens from copper pipe unless they are kitless. The pipe will not allow the kit components to be pressed in. Use the tubes that come with the kits. Good luck. Looks like you are having fun.
No, it was just something to do until my kits come in, had to break n my tools somehow. What better way to test a tool, then by being a tool. :)

sbwertz

Well, I have to admit you got my attention with "Arse Turning." :D

The purple log might be Eastern Red Cedar. It is often purple in color. You will know by the smell when you cut it if it is cedar.

Last edited:
Top Bottom