instructions complaint

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

If this has been addressed before please forgive me.
I noticed in the instructions for the cigar pen the part that holds the refill is labeled the "upper assembly" and the part that holds the clip is called the "lower assembly"
I find this confusing.
Do most people display their pens upside down?
I am interested in making that style pen but find some instructions a little confusing.
When I "load" my mandrel I start with the "tip" end near the head stock and the clip end near the tail stock.
I am right handed so that may have something to do with it,but when I turn I work in any direction I choose.
Bottom line is the tip is ALWAYS to my left.
Am I doing this dyslexically?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

I agree with you and had pointed this out before. For me the writing end with the nib is still the lower assembly and the top with the clip is the upper assembly. Do not know why this was changed. Maybe we can get somehow enlightend why this was turned around.

Rudy

Originally posted by Eaglesc
<br />If this has been addressed before please forgive me.
I noticed in the instructions for the cigar pen the part that holds the refill is labeled the "upper assembly" and the part that holds the clip is called the "lower assembly"
I find this confusing.
Do most people display their pens upside down?
I am interested in making that style pen but find some instructions a little confusing.
When I "load" my mandrel I start with the "tip" end near the head stock and the clip end near the tail stock.
I am right handed so that may have something to do with it,but when I turn I work in any direction I choose.
Bottom line is the tip is ALWAYS to my left.
Am I doing this dyslexically?

I always call the clip end the upper barrel and that is the way most of the directions that we have now put it so I think it would be confusing to list it the other way. I, however, always put the clip end of the blanks to the left because I am right handed and have better control of the nib end for shaping if it is on that way. I also turn sitting down which may have something to do with the way I put them on the mandrel. Maybe I'm just backwards!!! I guess whatever is best for each individual but I think the directions should be uniform. Thanks for letting me put in my 2 cents worth and please, keep the change!

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I always put the tip end at the headstock.. it just makes sense to me and makes it easier for me to taper the lower barrel into a nice sweeping curve with my skew...

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
The "conventional wisdon" of turning wood tells us that there are several advantages to having the tip of the pen towatds the headstock. It tells us that there will be less vibration when we are pushing the cutting forces against the headstock, that cutting along a flat-grain orientation is always better when we turn downhill from larger to smaller diameters; and the right to left movement is the natural direction for a right handed person.

Try it the other way. You should experience more vibration in a long and thin pen when you are pushing against the tailstock. If not, ignore all of what I have said. Like a lot of things, it often doesn't matter which way you do it.

bigdove

I always turn with the tip on the right and have had trouble on occasion when the tip starts to get thin. Never even thought of putting the tip at the head to lessen vibration. I know that this is off the original question but you never know when there is going to be a good tip. Thanks

tipusnr

I also load my mandrel with the tip to the right. Never had a problem with vibration but I have a really light hand when I turn. Just suits me better.

By the way, I'm left handed but can (and do) handle the tools with either hand depending on what I need to do and how I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom