Insperation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cigarman

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigarman

Allright you people have inspired me to take the next step. I have been making just writting instruments but some of the pens I have been seeing are art. This is my first try at an art pen:D.Hope you like it.

Image Insert:
2004810172138_insperation.jpg

24.21KB[/size=1
By the way it was made with cocobolo wood.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Darn, hit the wrong button! The reason I say the front of the pen is that I don't see the flow of the design carried through to the back piece. Now mind you this is just my $.02. If you look at some of YoYo's pens (which are top notch art) the front and back seem to "go together". I hope you understand what I mean. Anyway, it looks like you have the bumps and notches down pat. As long as you are having fun at it, do it!

YoYoSpin

Tom, that's a great start...now go out there and make another 100 or so, and you'll develop your own style.

The things that really work for me are: 1) when I finish a new shape pen, give it to the wife for a test run...if it's good or bad, I'll hear about it. And 2) try to keep the edges sharp, not rounded over...I think having nice crisp edges on a piece adds a lot.

tipusnr

My two cents!? I like it! I do see an asymmetrical flow from the bottom to top of pen. I also like the softness as it would make the pen comfortable to use.

It might have more warmth done in a lighter wood but overall I like it.

Scott

Tom! Now who could have influenced you with that design? ;-)

Nice pen! I agree with Ed, keep the details sharp. And like Bev says, make the top go with the bottom. That doesn't mean they need to match, but they should be complimentary.

Scott.

cigarman

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I now have a better idea of what I need to do.
As for who influnced me I will have to say the whole group. Ok with maybe YOYOSPIN and Bev leading the pack.

melchioe

From a skill perspective, I can certainly agree that keeping the edges sharp is more difficult, and shows a higher skill level.

Also, from what I've seen, more folks prefer sharper edges (myself included). However, I have encountered customers that equate sharp with bad. It's important to know the customers prefs...

I really like the pen. I will agree with Bev that there seems to be a difference i feel between top and bottom. I still like it, just the tip seems less busy than the clip end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom