Ink On Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

badwin

One of my customers ran his Redheart pen through the washing machine. Of course it exploded. Is there anyway to get the ink off the wood without dismantling, sanding and refinishing. I think the asnswer is probably "no" but with you guys I always ask.
Thanks
Brian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Thumbs

Brian, the August issue of "Popular Woodworking" had an article by Bob Flexner on "Fixing Finished Surfaces." While he didn't specify anything about ink stains, he did detail a lot of good information on generally common solvents and their effects on wood finishes. Perhaps, you'd like to check it out..... <b>FWIW</b>[:)]

vick

Alright this is all opinion I have never tried to take ink off of a pen before and am not sure if the ink is just on the finish or in the wood.
First the good news the thicker ballpoint ink might not go all the way through the wood (if it got to the wood). I have a fealing Rollerball or Foutain Ink would have worked like a dye and penetrated all the way through the wood.
Rubbing Alcohol can usually be used to remove ball point ink. If you have a shellac based finish (friction polish) it will also melt the finish, not sure about other finishes.

Worth a try but I have a fealing you probably be giving the customer a deal on a new pen.

Good luck if you find a method that works please post it. I know I have seen a post about a washed pen at least once before, but he wasn't trying to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom