Info on Grizzly jointer/planer combo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darrin1200

Morning all. Im looking to downsize some of my woodworking tools. I am considering the new 8" jointer/planer combo, from BusyBee, up here in Canada.

1708954148781.png

It's pretty new up here, so no one I know has one. It appears to be exactly the same as the Grizzly G0958, except the colour.

g0958-06ddbedd5fc5855b219064b7f0c2f987.jpg

I am hoping that maybe someone our vast group has tried the Grizzly. I love the size and the price, but have a little bit of trepidation with the aluminum tables.

As a note, I currently have a full size 6" jointer, as well as a 13" Rigid planer. For the amount and size of material that do now-a-days, I want to minimize the shop space used.

Has anyone actually touched or played with one of these?
Let me know your thoughts.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Darrin never have I ever touched one but I wouldn't worry about the aluminium tables unless you are clumsier than I am and drop it, or stuff on it. Reason being is portable power planes often have aluminum soles and my 40 year old Hitachi planer jointer has aluminium flip up extension tables on the jointer side and they are fine. I suppose if you like running pallet wood with all the imbedded grit they would scratch. Aren't you close enough to the centre of the universe to go to one of the Busy Bee stores to have a look while on other errands? 😉

jttheclockman

I am a tool nut some times and admire innovation but I am truely at a loss for words here on this tool. All I can think of is WHY??? My thought is no bench top tool can replace a full size floor model and do the same job with accuracy. The beds are too short for me in either mode. That is a key when planning as well as jointing boards. I could not commit on use. I guess if you are working with small pieces of wood all the time it would suffice. Good luck.

Last edited:

darrin1200

Darrin never have I ever touched one but I wouldn't worry about the aluminium tables unless you are clumsier than I am and drop it, or stuff on it. Reason being is portable power planes often have aluminum soles and my 40 year old Hitachi planer jointer has aluminium flip up extension tables on the jointer side and they are fine. I suppose if you like running pallet wood with all the imbedded grit they would scratch. Aren't you close enough to the centre of the universe to go to one of the Busy Bee stores to have a look while on other errands? 😉
Thanks Pete.
Yeah. I'm about an hour and half to Busy Bee.

Ive heard that the aluminum, with care, can be reliable.
After tax season, I'm going to readjust my shop. That's when I'll be looking for the extra floor space.

@jttheclockman I mostly only do short, under 24", pieces anymore. And that is usually once every couple of months.
This combo machine will occupy about the same space as my 13" Rigid planer, thus freeing up the 5sqft of floor space my jointer takes up.

Brandy

I'd love to get a jointer but have so much stuffed into my one car garage I have nowhere to put anything else. If you like this let me know - I may be able to make space for a benchtop model

Top Bottom