Inexpensive (cheap) Turning tools advice please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewishman

Hey all,

I am just starting out and need to get a couple of turning tools (have been using borrowed tools). The Benjamin's Best tools in the PSI catalog certainly seem to cover the most basic needs (HSS and cheap).

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking at the 3/4" oval skew ($12.95 and the 3/4"x1/8" parting tool ($10.95).

Or, does anyone have tools that they do not use anymore that they would like to sell?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Chris,

For what it is worth, I bought an incredibly inexpensive 8 piece set from Harbor Freight to learn on before moving up to more expensive tools. I am now on my second set of tools. Sure I have to sharpen a bit more, but it leaves more money for blanks and kits.

thetalbott4

I've had the 8 piece PSI set for 3 years. I think they are the same as the HF set, as they look identical. You do have to sharpen them more, but they work just fine. Learning to sharpen your tools is as important as learning to turn. Put equal emphasis on both and you'll get better faster.

Buzz

A cheap set of Tiawanese tools are best to learn on, they are High Speed Steel and work well. You need to sharpen more often which is good practice anyway. This is what I did and am now gradually adding to the collection with better quality tools now that experience is identifying exactly what I need for the sort of work I do.

Chris

Deere41h

I have two sets of the Harbor Freight turning tools ( 8 in a set ). They work great and for the price you can grind them into any shape you want. No bowl gouge but everything else you need and more. I recommend you give them a try. Can't beat it for the price IMHO. About $35.00.

Johnathan

As the basic penturning tools are really just 3 -- the gouge, skew, and parting tool, I really don't see it being all that expensive. If you think your really going to get into this, which I'm sure you will becuase it's just that much fun! I would recommend just starting off with a nice set of English tools. Why spend money on a cheap set, and then buy the nice ones a year from now? [:)]

Randy_

Originally posted by thetalbott4
<br />I've had the 8 piece PSI set for 3 years. I think they are the same as the HF set, as they look identical.....

Except that the PSI tools cost $60 and the HF set costs $35. I just bought a set of the HF chisels. I had been using a set of the small PSI chisels. Haven't had the HF set long enough to evaluate their cutting ability; but I sure do like using the larger tools!!!

Rifleman1776

I started with a cheap set of tools, $20.00 for five that I bought from an on-line friend. Still use some of them. As said, do require a bit more sharpening than the very expensive ones. Keep an eye out for garage sales and such. Often good tools can be found real cheap. I bought a bunch for $5.00 and resold the ones I didn't need for $10.00 or more. But! This is a big BUT! [:0] On the el cheapos, check in person before buying to make sure the tangs are long enough in the handles to provide needed strength. I have seen el cheapo imports with very short tangs that provide absolutely no strength but a lot of danger to the user. If you buy on-line, make sure you have return priviliges if they are not satisfactory.

Daniel

I use the HF tool set almost exclusively, Around a year ago I had a friend buy me a top of the line skew. it is nice, doesn't need to be sharpened as often but it does have to be sharpened. adn I could have bought two of the HF sets for what it cost.
It is nice to have but I would not go that route with all my tools if pens where all I intended to turn. If you get into larger turnings like bowls etc. you will need other tools that will drain your pocket anyway. low cost does not always mean cheap. the HF tools work very well for our pourposes.

Dario

I too only use the HF 8 piece HSS set. It was only $25.00 per set when I bought it and I am still using it...almost still full sized (meaning they don't wear off that fast either). I liked it so much that I bought another set [;)]

Of course better tool is preferred (if you have money to spend) but for all intents and purposes this set will do all you want/need (except bowls and hollow forms)...and the wood won't know the difference [;)].

alamocdc

Chris, I also started with the HF set and still use them (so did you). I've since added 4 PSI chisels that I bought from Woodturningz. One was the 3/4" oval skew you used. The others are my 3/8" and 5/8" bowl gouges and my bowl scraper.

thetalbott4

quote:
Originally posted by thetalbott4

I've had the 8 piece PSI set for 3 years. I think they are the same as the HF set, as they look identical.....

Except that the PSI tools cost $60 and the HF set costs $35. I just bought a set of the HF chisels. I had been using a set of the small PSI chisels. Haven't had the HF set long enough to evaluate their cutting ability; but I sure do like using the larger tools!!!

Thats what I mean...they are identical so get whatever is cheaper. I also dont recommend getting spendy tools right off the bat if your not savy with sharpening. Dulling up or wrecking the profile of a $30+ tool is disheartening. Learn on the cheap stuff and you'll appreciate the nice stuff more.

thewishman

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I spent more than I should have at HF yesterday - 115 piece titanium drill bit set, jacobs chuck for the lathe and dial calipers - and a Stanley hand miter saw from Wal-mart. I'll have to keep using the borrowed tools now for a while longer.

Billy, I really liked that oval skew of yours. I have been looking for one like that - sounds like I found it - cool! (I should have just asked you - don't know why I didn't.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom