Imitation ivory - what type of plastic?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatrickR

I get imitation ivory from VF and really like it's looks and workability. Does anyone know what plastic it is? It has a unique smell to me.
they describe it as resin based and stronger than polyester.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jalbert

In my experience with it, i didn't find its workability much different from polyester resin. It seemed to have the same brittleness and odor. It's nice looking stuff, but I would be hesitant to use it un-sleeved or un-tubed, and a poor candidate for threading.

JohnU

I would also guess a form of Polyresin The thing about PR is manufacturers use different amounts of catalyst changing the outcome and workability, usually using more to speed up the curing time, leaving the finished blank more brittle. I think we are all spoiled by custom blank makers and turners who use less and make a blank that is easier to turn.

PatrickR

Thank you both. I must have turned poly before because the smell was familiar, but I don't remember what blank it was. It is more brittle than acrylic but cuts very smoothly and seems to be more heat tolerant. I would be surprised if it threaded well but have not tried.

randyrls

VF is Vermont Freehand. I tried some of their ivory blanks, but they were VERY brittle. I haven't tried to turn them but got shattered ends even while cutting them on my table saw.

duncsuss

I believe the VF imitation ivory is either polyester or polyurethane resin.

He has two versions, "grade 1" and "grade 2" - there might be a difference in machinability between them, I've only tried one (I forget which it was) and it was not at all easy to cut clean threads in it with tap & die. It might also change from batch to batch unless the manufacture has really high quality control measures in place.

A couple of years back I tried a product called Elforyn Super Tusk - but the place I bought it from has discontinued sales because of variable quality issues - read all about it here.

jalbert

He has two versions, "grade 1" and "grade 2" - there might be a difference in machinability between them, I've only tried one (I forget which it was) and it was not at all easy to cut clean threads in it with tap & die.
Pretty sure this just refers to the depth of the "schreger lines" in the blank

PatrickR

I believe the VF imitation ivory is either polyester or polyurethane resin.

He has two versions, "grade 1" and "grade 2" - there might be a difference in machinability between them, I've only tried one (I forget which it was) and it was not at all easy to cut clean threads in it with tap & die. It might also change from batch to batch unless the manufacture has really high quality control measures in place.

A couple of years back I tried a product called Elforyn Super Tusk - but the place I bought it from has discontinued sales because of variable quality issues - read all about it here.
I have used both grades with no noticeable difference In workability.
The piece of Elforyn that I tried was much different than this. It was a pure white without the lines.
I now remember the blank I used that smelled the same while turning, it was a "poly" blank from woodturningz.

Top Bottom